We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal Item

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Personal Item

Do you think this will be accepted into most flights in Europe as a shoulder bag, my personal item? I have a separate backpack as a carry-on that fits size restrictions without problem. I recently bought this purse, but not having much experience with tote bags or large handbags in general, I can't tell if it is appropriate or not. It seems to me like it may be too wide, but then again I have seen women in everyday life who basically walk around with suitcases on their shoulders... I used to take a messenger on flights that is about the same size, maybe a tad smaller, but it didn't *look* as wide, if you know what I mean.

I am rather worried about this.

lipault.com/product/sac-shopping-38-cm/610/17

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal Item

Do you think this will be accepted into most flights in Europe as a shoulder bag, my personal item?

=====

No. Simply because, whatever it is, whether its matchbox sized, or as big as a carry on suitcase, there is no such meaningful thing as "most" flights, because all the airlines have their own allowances.

Some only allow one bag, irrespective, some two bags but the second very small, some have weight limits, some define a "personal item: some just allow one bag, end of

Great Malvern...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal Item

Assume that you'll be asked to put one bag into the other. All flights have different policies as Joe stated.

I am a handbag person and I am one of the "suitcase on my shoulder" large bag ladies. I just LOOOOOOOVE handbags :)

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal Item

Okay, thank you. I mostly fly Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines or a budget airline (Easy Jet, Sun Express etc.) I just wanted to know your opinions, because I definitely think there is such a thing as "most flights". I know rules vary, but in general there are some good rules of thumb. Some rules I have seen allow for a laptop case, but having had a small netbook for the last few years, I can't tell if this bag is about the same size as a laptop case or not. I am just trying to form an opinion.

p.s I am rather small too, so most bags look larger on me than they would on others, which is unfortunate.

Great Malvern...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal Item

Same here, I'm small (well, petite) also.

I hear you with regard to the 'most flights' but that'd never be a justified reason when it comes down to a specific flight/security policy. Lufthansa aren't as strict as Ryan air or Easy Jet IMHO.

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal Item

I think part of the reason why I am nervous is that this doesn't look like a "handbag", like leather or whatever, but rather a canvas, heavy duty luggage item. I just wanted several opinions about the dimensions etc. It was on sale and can't be returned anyway haha.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal Item

<<because I definitely think there is such a thing as "most flights".

I know rules vary, but in general there are some good rules of thumb>>

Excellent, please video and then post what happens with an Easyjet or Ryanair person at the gate when you explain to them that due to your "rule of thumb" you are OK, as "most" airlines allow this

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal Item

I really wasn't talking about Ryan Air though. OK, let me rephrase this: would my bag would be acceptable on flights with airlines known not to have extra strict policies significantly different from everyone else and conditioned to make people pay fees, and also that allow one carry-on and one personal item per flight? I am asking about only those.

I don't see why the tone is necessary.

Edited: 11:42 am, February 15, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal Item

I have to be honest, that does not look like a handbag as such to me either. I think you would get away with it if just that, but to be honest, that and a back pack looks like you are extracting the proverbial. Much also depends on how you pack it,,,stuffed to the gunnels and yep, you are just trying to get round the rules, just a small wallet and your passport in it and it will fold down easily, you will probably be fine, as you are obviously genuinely using it as a handbag.

I also agree with the others, there is no such thing as most airlines.

UK
Level Contributor
7,859 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Personal Item

For starters... last I heard Easyjet is strill "strictly one bag". This will probably change in the very near future because Ryanair now allow an additional item, but AFAIK it hasn't changed yet.

With other airlines it will often depend on how full the flight is. I've seen people get onto LH flights with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack, but I've also seen people having one of their two pieces taken off them.

And do remember that most airlines have weight restrictions for carry-on baggage - and I believe Lufthansa's is quite low.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,232 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Personal Item

What joeintheuk is trying to say is that whatever our opinions are, they will be irrelevant if whatever airline you are flying with decides that whatever bag you have will not be allowed in the cabin.

The only way you can be sure is to check the rules of each airline you are considering flying with, before you book a flight. I'm afraid that adhering to 'rules of thumb' will most likely only result in unexpected stress when you are told at the airport that you will have to pay more to get on the plane.