We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia.com

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Expedia.com

My husband and I are from Canada wanted to book our honeymoon trip to Cancun through Expedia. We had hears a few bad reviews about them, but decided to form our own opinion on the company. We mistakenly booked a trip to Oasis Sens in Cancun on their USA website, not the Canadian one, so the dollar amount charged onto my husband’s VISA was about $400 more due to the currency difference. We didn’t see any problem in that at all and were happy with our booked trip.

About four hours after booking our trip, we got an email from Expedia saying that our trip has been canceled and to provide a phone number to contact us. I ended up calling Expedia the following morning to sort things out, and according to the manager (Jeff or Jack) our trip was flagged due to an incorrect phone number on my husband’s VISA? That didn’t make any sense to us, but we were not up to argue. The manager said he was refunding us right away and should see the money back onto our VISA.

Few hours after the phone call with Expedia, we did not see any refunded money on the VISA, so we decided to call our bank. The bank proceeded to tell us that Expedia has put a hold on the money for a few business days, BUT if Expedia calls our bank they can put it through right away. SO , we called Expedia again to relay the information to the manager that our bank gave us. No one would let us talk to the manager again, and after 56 minutes of being on hold, they hung up on us…. That’s when we decided to just wait for the refund and rebook with Expedia. ..

When our refund came through, the Canadian dollar dropped and we lost $300.00 all because of a phone number. There was nothing anyone could or would do. We tried talking to Expedia to see if we could get a credit, because THEY canceled our trip over what we feel is an invalid reason, and after 45 minutes of being on hold, they hung up on us AGAIN….now were out $300 because the currency dropped over night…. I will NOT be booking with them again, and I strongly urge potential customers to sway away from this website. The customer service is terrible…

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
560 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia.com

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6115504…

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia.com

"When our refund came through, the Canadian dollar dropped and we lost $300.00 all because of a phone number"

When you say Visa, are you referring to an actual Visa or were you booking using a VISA credit card. If this was a VISA CC, it's highly possible this was correct. If the phone number was incorrect, Expedia would have been unable to do CC verification and would not have been able to process the card.

I used to work for a 3rd party agency (not Expedia) and this was a common occurrence. People would change phones, move, etc. and forget to change the phone numbers associated with their CC cards.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia.com

That is unfortunate. Unfortunately, Visa transfers the money immediately and the current exchange rate is used (plus a spread). When the refund comes through the spread works against you, plus the exchange difference. I happened to be in Canada the week of the big drop and took advantage of the change to buy myself a big present. It works both ways. Sorry you got bit on this. You can try to argue with Expedia that they should have either honoured your original payment with a corrected phone number, but they probably shouldn't have processed the amount in the first place. If it processed, then they didn't really need the confirmation number.

4. Re: Expedia.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 13, 2015