We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conned by Emirates

Winchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Conned by Emirates

At beginning of January I wanted to book online return flights London to Durban South Africa for travel September to October 2014. Emirates were not the cheapest but they quoted £1313 and I was happy with this price. When I went to book their website said there were special offers for Skywards members of which I am a member. I did not have the membership number to hand but got it quite quickly. When I logged in as Skywards member the price had gone up to £1487! There was an option requiring a promo code so I thought I had missed it in the emails that flood my inbox from Skywards. I telephoned Emirates; I was left holding for long periods and then disconnected TWICW after 17/18 minutes. My telephone costs for abandoned calls is in excess of £40. When I eventually got an answer to my query I fell for the line the flights were filling rapidly and I should grab the £1497 before it increased. A few days later the price for the flight reverted to £1313. Today, 8 February, the same flight on the Emirates website for the same dates from all London airports is £1313 and there are 25 seperate flight options available. Emirates acknowledge the abandoning calls and apologise saying it is an internal matter, but as a valued Skywards member they can do nothing claiming the price of seats on their own airline is outside their control! I have been conned and intend to seek the view of a County Court Judge.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,905 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conned by Emirates

Good luck if you do choose to take this one to court as this will be more money you will be throwing away. Flight prices have always fluctuated, if you see a price you are happy to pay then book but the general idea is to not look at fares after that point if you feel it may upset you if they are cheaper than what you paid.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conned by Emirates

You have to buy at the price you are happy with. Airline prices go up and down. If the price had went up you would not be throwing the additional money at them, and you can't have it both ways, that's not what they offer. I think it's even detailed in the terms and conditions you accepted, that they reserve the right to amend their pricing.

I strongly recommend you don't take them to court, because you will lose. It's simply throwing more money away,

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conned by Emirates

I have to agree with the above post! That's happened to me on many occasions, and I'm a sucker for checking the flight cost after iv booked(don't know why) and found it sometimes quite a bit cheaper! But all said and done at the time of booking i was happy with the price

4. Re: Conned by Emirates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, February 08, 2014
Edited: 5:05 am, February 08, 2014
Winchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Conned by Emirates

Whilst I accept that prices fluctuate what is not acceptable is to be mislead into booking using my Skywards membership when this not only has no benefit but led to an increase. Had I not been mislead I would have booked at the lower price.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conned by Emirates

But did you not check the original web price against the price offered as a Skywards member before you booked? And £40 on phone calls you must of been on a long time.

If indeed you are intending to take any kind of court action, you will spend more time, energy and money than its worth. Good luck with that one.

Prices change all the time with airlines not just EK, move on and forget about it.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conned by Emirates

First of all I thought a 1 post complainer, but no, they had 2 posts to my surprise, but when I checked, both on this thread.

How much has the OP been paid to make up this complaint I wonder ?

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conned by Emirates

I feel like taking you to a county court judge, just for wasting my time reading this load of rubbish

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conned by Emirates

hmmmm am i just naive or do people actually get paid to write those kind of statements? And NO I'm not from Essex i just live here lol :) just curious

James

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conned by Emirates

Hi,

I get it that you feel your Skywards was a detriment- not an asset...

But...

"Whilst I accept that prices fluctuate what is not acceptable is to be mislead into booking using my Skywards membership when this not only has no benefit but led to an increase."

To me, for you to make this a valid claim you'll need to be able to show that it was your use of the Skywards number that drove the higher price -- and that it wasn't something else -- like other passengers worldwide that could have also potentially looking at and booking (as well as canceling) tickets that all impact not only availability, but also prices as airlines can and do adjust prices as a larger part of a complex yield management program.

I can't prove factually that the use of your Skywards number was the direct cause of the price change -- but I think you're going to have a very steep hill to climb to make that a case in a judicial setting given the airlines pricing realties and the evidence they could put forward to disapprove your allegation.

The fact is until you press buy; and your card data and other required booking information hits their mainframe and a e-ticket number is generated, largely your "in the wind" for procuring.

I've had this happen to me- but as ground agent doing a rebooking...

I had the passengers PNR open, I had removed the old flights that didn't work, I had entered the new flights that I needed, but just as was reading back the changes to the passenger, I lost one of the flights as it was (unbeknownst to me) the very last seat -- and because I didn't press <enter> first, before reading back the changes -- that flight was now sold out and I couldn't book it.

It happens as these systems can move very quickly.

Travel Safe,