We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

Gatineau, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

My ticket from Ottawa to Albuquerque is bought with only one connection. Without advice, they change it for a two connections flights. And the worse, with a 9 minutes connection time in Denver... Have you ever had a such situation ? And what can it be done ?

Gatineau, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

I would like to say, that my reservation was done directly on United website !!! No third party. I'd like to know if it can be possible that they give me a better flight ???

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

jonquille53,

Call United and ask for a better itinerary, and point out the error in what their computer has rebooked you onto. Nine minutes at DEN is an "illegal" connection; the minimum connection time there is 30 minutes (and that's too short IMO).

Before you call then, go onto united.com and search for Ottawa (YOW) to Albuquerqque (ABQ) flights one way for the day you fly. That will give you options that you can use to guide the agent, and you'll be able to request the one that suits you best.

As to why this happens, airlines change schedules all the time. But were your original flights by any chance via Washinton Dulles (IAD)? If so that would explain it, as United is terminating IAD-ABQ service. If not, it's just a change of schedules.

Good luck, and well done for asking advice.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

Definitely call them. There is no way you can do a 9-minute connection anywhere! It's not even near a "legal" connection.

I don't know if changing a one-connection flight to a two-connection one is something you can fight, though -- if connection times were reasonable. The airline sells you a ticket to get you from point A to point B, not a certain number of stops. Sometimes, connection airports will be changed, too.

**USBusinessTraveller was posting #2 while I was still composing this! Good advice.

Edited: 12:16 am, February 07, 2014
albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

Due to ending non-stop flights from IAD to ABQ United just did a major reshuffling of many itineraries. Likely done by computer. This ABQ traveler is most unhappy as it now adds an additional leg to most of my overseas travel.

I was also caught in this with a scheduled ABQ - IAD - CDG flight. One call and they worked it all out easily. There are several flights from Den to ABQ per day, so there should be options for you. Just look online and pick the flight you want and then ask for that when you call.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

Sounds like a computer glitch. 9 minutes???? You're sure of that, I gather. Can't imagine how their computer system allowed it. But, regardless of the changes, you normally have the right, if an airline involuntarily changes your schedule, to request a better itinerary or get a refund. If the itinerary given has legal connection times and you just prefer something else, then you'd likely have to pay the difference, but in this case you don't have a connection within the minimum connection time.

UA's Web site shows lots of options from YOW to ABQ, including with connections through Washington or Houston and/or Denver. Call them now. They can't put you on a flight if there are no seats left.

Edited: 12:32 pm, February 08, 2014
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

"Can't imagine how their computer system allowed it"

Have had that happen several times with different airlines. Problem is (or used to be) that the computer only works the flight changed and reschedules you on the next flight closest to your original times. Unfortunately, the computer works off the flight schedules and not the itineraries. Therefore, you end up with situastions such as this or maybe worse.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

Every time we have even a small change in our schedule, our airline gives us the option of requesting a different schedule or receiving a refund. I am sure UA would provide a similar option. You should certainly call them.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

Look on United.com and pick a schedule you like, any set of flights regardless of cost. Jot down the flight numbers and call them and start the conversation off "I've experienced an involuntary reschedule and I've found flights I'd like to switch to." Agents are usually thankful you've saved them the bother of looking up all the flights.

I've experienced this on United, US Airways and American, have adopted the same strategy each time and never had an issue with changing to any flights I wanted. In one case the flights I was able to change to were more than 10x the cost of my own ticket!

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

We were booked to fly EDI - EWR - SAN in May and the first change was EDI - EWR - ORD - SAN and then the EWR - ORD part changed again. It is a nightmare having to keep checking booking and phoning to get the best connection times. I wasn't happy about 2 stops instead of 1 but it is the risk of booking early. I found United call centre in Tampa which UK number connected to very helpful

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines : important modification of my ticket

re computer glitches

I was scheduled on a SAN-PHL-PUJ itinerary with the SAN-PHL leg on a red eye. The airline cancelled the red-eye flight for my departure date, so rather than reschedule a new SAN-PHL leg, the computer simply dropped that leg and had my trip originating in PHL! Thankfully, I was able to sort it out over the phone with an agent.