We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check Bags For Multi-City Flights

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Check Bags For Multi-City Flights

I'm looking to book a multi-city flight on the same airline (United) for the same day because it is cheaper and I can select a better connection time. What I am wondering is if my baggage will be checked from the origin straight through to the destination? As I have said, it will all be on United and I will book the multi-city flights at the same time.

For example: Instead of booking a one-way ticket on United for DEN-SFO-LAX, I book a multi-city ticket for DEN-SFO then SFO-LAX but the flights are on the same day with a couple hours for connection time. In this scenario would I be able to check my bags straight through from DEN to LAX?

Thanks for your insight and help!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,885 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check Bags For Multi-City Flights

That's not guaranteed. They may do it for you as they're the same airline. But, two tickets means two sets of baggage fees so expect to be charged $50 for a first bag instead of $25.

And there's also no guarantee that they'll protect your "connection", which isn't a connection. If you fail to show for the onward flight at SFO, for whatever reason, you could lose the ticket as a no show and have to buy another one. That's even though the inbound delayed flight were UA themselves. They may help you as it was their own inbound flight but they're under no obligation to do so.

If you were specifically booking this to spend several hours on San Francisco (early AM arrival, late PM departure) then you'll probably be okay regarding the missed flights. If not, then what's wrong with a non stop DEN-LAX?

Edited: 1:58 am, February 07, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check Bags For Multi-City Flights

because it is cheaper and I can select a better connection time

====

But as USBT says, you lose all protection in case of a late or cancelled flight. Dont do it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check Bags For Multi-City Flights

I've done this on AA with no issue. They treated it as one ticket even though was a much to city. Never did it with UA.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check Bags For Multi-City Flights

This would be a multi-city flight booked all at once, so I think odds are certainly better than if you booked them a two one-way tickets, but I'd call UA to ask. Nothing to lose by asking. I'm curious as to how much money you'd save. Could the savings be wiped out if you had to pay baggage fees twice? You mention better connection times as well as a lower price. What connection times were you given booking just straight DEN-LAX. Don't they have lots of non-stops? Are you trying to stop at SFO for a reason?

Using an arbitrary date, I found a wide range of fares with UA, with non-stops being a bit more than flights connecting through LAS, and flights connecting through SFO being the highest.

Remember, your flight times could be changed by the airline, and having two flights can complicate things.

Edited: 2:36 pm, February 07, 2014
5. Re: Check Bags For Multi-City Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, February 09, 2015