We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

Hey guys.

I was searching for a flight to Russia and I wanted to clarify a question.

I want to book a flight in Swiss Airlines from Moscow to Geneva, in order to fly back to Portugal afterwards. However, it is a lot cheaper if I buy the stopover flight Moscow-Geneva-Zurich instead of buying the direct flight Moscow-Geneva itself.

If I don't check-in any luggage in Moscow, can I leave the boarding area in Geneva, so that I can go to another flight I also book to Portugal instead of following the track to Zurich?

Thank you very much!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

Almost certainly yes. If it's a return ticket, the inbound part will cancelled though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

You can as long as you don't tell them, don't do it too often and don't expect to use the return, as all remaining legs will be cancelled.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

Have you looked at Transero or Easyjet flights via LGW then a TAP flight to Porto? Or is this part of a Porto-Moscow-Porto flight?

Also take a look at Vueling via Barcelona

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

Hi

don't tell then too soon would be better advice .more considerate to tell them after you arrive in Geneva

so they don't hold the plane or waste time looking for you. tell them you feel too sick to travel

Edited: 10:01 pm, February 05, 2014
Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

Legally they could send you an invoice (or charge your credit card) for the fare difference. But I don't know if Swiss will actually do that.

Swiss Conditons of carriage Para 3.3.1:

The fare is only valid if all the flights are fully flown in the booked sequence. Otherwise the fare will be recalculated based on the actual flight routing. You will then have to pay any difference between the fare you have paid and the total fare applicable for your revised transportation.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

You could also risk being rerouted as your ticket is to Zurich. If the Moscow-Geneva or Geneva-Zurich gets cancelled ahead of time they could send you via Frankfurt or on the direct flight to Zurich.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

This has been asked numerous times here and on other posts. Many point out that you could technically be billed by the airline if flying just to where you stop is a higher fare, but I haven't seen anyone say they've received such a bill (maybe someone has). Airlines know this occurs on a regular basis. As noted, there's a risk of rerouting. I assume this is an airline you don't plan on flying again anytime soon.

Edited: 2:57 pm, February 06, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

>>I assume this is an airline you don't plan on flying again anytime soon.<<

Oh, here we go again, he can miss the flight, he won't get charged but he will lose all remaining legs. Why assume he won't fly them again soon? He can fly them the next day if he so choses.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

You have to do this repeatedly for it to be an issue. I have heard of that when business men did it every Monday and Friday for weeks. (I actually know someone who used to do this flying to Nashville to Dallas on AA every week. He just booked an AA flight to whereever was cheapest and got off in Dallas Coming home he booked a flight to whereever was cheapest connecting through Nashville and got off there.) According to him after about 9 months of doing this every week he got a 'warning' from AA and he quit. So for them to bother to find you and bill you appears to take repeated incidents.

The bigger risk is that once you get off in Zurich any remaining flights on that ticket are cancelled. If you don't plan to use them it's fine, but every so often someone wants to do this and then get back on a few days later to continue their flights and that's not a pleasant discovery.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you miss the second flight of a reservation on purpose?

Which airlines are you planning to fly, and how long will you be in Geneva?

While it's unlikely that you'd get caught if you just got off the ZRH flight at GVA and walked away, if you booked the onward flight to Portugal on the same airline, for the same day or next, that may well raise alarm bells. They'll have it in the reservations system that you're supposed to be in Zurich while checking in or boarding that flight at GVA, and you'd be standing right there as low hanging fruit for having to pay up. Also, assuming you're flying DME-GVA(-ZRH) on Swiss, be careful about booking the GVA-LIS/OPO leg on TAP, as TAP and Swiss are alliance partners and may share information.