We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

I have been looking at flights online, both airline websites and other sites, how do you know if the flight will allow a stopover? Also, is there a max length of time that is allowed for a stopover?

I would like to fly YEG - EBB with a stopover on the way home in NBO. Am I better off just doing a multi-city ticket? I would prefer to fly with the Star Alliance.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

I' think you need a multi city ticket, that does not seem a natural route to me for any airline.I can't even find a direct flight from Edmonton to Nairobi, most have at least two stops in between, never mind stop once in Nairobi and onto Uganda. Hopefully someone will correct me,

Do you need to go from Edmonton? I think you might have quite a lengthy journey on your hands.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

I could also fly from Calgary (YYC) if better options are available. I think even flying from Calgary there would be a stop somewhere in Europe.

So if I understand correctly, a stopover can only occur if you have a direct flight to somewhere. Thanks, I did not understand how it worked.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

Sorry, I did not explain right and you are doing Nairobi on the way back.

You can fly from Uganda to Nairobi on air Uganda or Kenya airways. But then to get from Nairobi to Edmonton or Calgary you will need at least two more stops, it's not a natural route and these airlines ( Kenya air or air Uganda) don't fly to Edmonton or Calgary, even air Canada is taking you into Toronto first.

A stop over can occur where an airline or an alliance partner flies to and from, that's no issue, you can link tickets. What can't happen is you can't link where there is no alliance and the airlines in question don't fly to. Does that make sense?

You have an awkward route request which is going to involve multiple airlines which ever say you cut it. I suspect, you might even need separate tickets for the Uganda to Nairobi leg, am not sure you can even get multi city for that whole route.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

For *Alliance carriers, there routings tend not to go via NBO.

United is routed via DOH, CAI and BAH plus the main *Alliance European hubs.

Air Canada is typically routed over Europe (inc. IST).

Lufthansa routed over BRU or ADD (ADD is a nice place, BTW).

Swiss DOES allow a routing over NBO. However, they do not permit stopovers in NBO. Stopovers only in the main European hubs.

Your best best is an openjaw ticket YEG-NBO // EBB-YEG and buy a separate ticket for NBO-EBB.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

Thanks a lot, I didn't think it would be simple, flying never is.

6. Re: How can you tell if a flight allows a stopover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 06, 2015