We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair...e-cigs

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair...e-cigs

Can't find anything in their regs regarding using e-cigs on board.

Does FR permit their use? I ask because during a flight yesterday, I realised their was an unfamiliar smell nearby.

I looked around and in the row in front on opposite side their was a guy smoking an e-cig. He was trying to be discreet by holding the cig in his palm and blowing out onto his chest.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

I realised their was an unfamiliar smell nearby.

=====

This cant possibly be true because the ecig proponents all swear blind that there is no emission other than water vapour.

:-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

"I realised their was an unfamiliar smell nearby."

If it was during descent it may have been other emissions. The change of pressure has that effect. :-)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

"Does FR permit their use?"

Only the "smokeless" cigarettes they sell on board: http://www.jaunted.com/story/2010/3/17/02014/4366/travel/Cigarettes+Designed+for+In-Flight+Smoking%3A+Ryanair%27s+%27Smokeless%27+Packs

Edited: 3:55 am, February 04, 2014
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

Very good Joe. Yes a definite and distinct smell. The passenger smoked this throughout the 4+ hour flight.

No idea if the cabin crew were aware but nothing was said. I'm afraid I 'chickened out' and said nothing as I was unsure of the regs.

I tried to imagine what the flight would be like if, say half the pax were puffing away!! Not a pleasant thought.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

the menthol ones i use have a definite smell. it is quite different from cigarettes, but it is there. and ryan air do not allow them.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,390 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

You can't use e-cigs on their flights, but the smokeless ones they sell are ok.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,146 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

My husband uses the e cigs and they very definitely do have a smell. Not unpleasant but still an obvious smell!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

I've used e-cigs for 5 years now, and don't use them where not allowed. People have to take responsibility and follow the rules. E-cigs are now frowned upon. I don't like it, but I comply.

Alcohol should also be eliminated. It's the major cause of passenger problems, and it also has an unpleasant odor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

@JimDavisHouston,

+1.

Would definitely move to ban alcohol consumption on flights, have been on several flights where holidaymakers have decided to start their jollies whilst flying to their destination and made a complete nuisance of themselves, it exposes cabin crew and other passengers to drunks who cannot be expelled until the plane lands, unlike in a pub where they can be shown the door.

I have nothing against responsible drinkers but surely they would be the first to say that they are happy to control their need for a drink until they have landed.

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair...e-cigs

Jimdavishouston

Yep agree with you as well

recently went to germany, sat on front seats

couple on the other side of the front seat decided to start celebrating her birthday (so told everyone)

a 90 minute flight, they went through 12 largers 6 mini baileys

they was slurring and loud, not pleasent for us who wants some peace