We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

I had asked a question several weeks ago about flying with United and transfer times at different airports. That is before I realized my flight from Chicago to Vienna was a codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines (UA 6740) we would fly from SHV, our hometown regional airport, to IAH and then Chicago to VIE.

Typically we fly Econ plus. But per U A's website you can not pick your seat on the codeshare flight. Do they have Econ plus type seating? It states the equipment is 767-300. I would hate not picking my seat for my longest flight

My other alternative with UA is from IAH going to AMS with a connection time of 1 hr 50 minutes but I would be able to buy Econ plus on a UA plane.

Otherwise it is American Airlines with the dreaded LHR connection ( but I can get a 3.5 hr layover for that)

I guess my two big questions are

1-flying with Tyrolean and the inability ( or so it seems per UA website)of picking seats and the non availability of better Econ seats

2-instead go through AMS with a less than 2 hr connection time

It is just my husband and myself. Thanks in advance for any replies regarding my questions.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

Have you looked at booking your flights on the Austrian Airlines site? You would then be able to select your seats.

Otherwise the AMS option is certainly doable, It's a very efficient airport. You will go through passport control in AMS but you will not need to reclaim your luggage.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

Douglas.

Thanks for your reply about AMS. I feel better about connecting through there. I had read some reviews on Econ on Austrian and they were so negative ( as if they aren't negative on all of them) And then I attempted ( just once ) to go directly to their website and couldn't find info about Econ plus type seating. I will try again.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

My sister and I have flown Austrian several times from IAD to VIE - we laughed until we cried at how we were stuffed into our seats. We had 2 seats together on one side (window/aisle). I don't think I've ever had so little room!!! On the positive side, I think they are very efficient and have the nicest Flight Attendants. I would fly them again - I just understand that I won't have a ton of space.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

Ok Kim you were the deciding reply. Going skip Austrian and go through AMS!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

Hope you have a great trip - you will LOVE Vienna!!

6. Re: United codeshare with Tyrolean-Austrian Airlines question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 03, 2015