We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Europa - long haul and being seated together

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Air Europa - long haul and being seated together

Hi All

Has anybody ever had any bother being seated together on Air Europa's long haul flights without seat reservations?

Checked in online today for the Gatwick to Madrid flight and have 6A and 8A so not together but for a short flight fair enough, I just wondered what peoples experience is of the long haul?

I never reserve seats as I don't like to pander to airlines wanting to charge for this rather than just do the fair thing and check people in in sequence if you now what I mean.

I have never been sat apart from my OH on any long haul yet so I am hoping it is the same this time - after all it is a long lonely time to be sat next to a complete stranger isn't it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Europa - long haul and being seated together

It's a risk you take if you don't pay to reserve on long haul - you might get lucky with someone willing to move, but there are many people like me who pay to reserve a particular seat and who certainly won't move to accommodate someone who didn't think sitting together important enough to pay for. And even when I don't pay, I'm certainly also not going to move from my chosen seat.

Edited: 7:03 am, February 01, 2014
Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Europa - long haul and being seated together

It's the people that pay for seats that deliberately split other people up - like I say if no one did it then everyone would check in in order wouldn't they! Like I say I have never sat apart from him once yet on a long haul flight and rarely on a short haul so have never had reason to be bothered.

A long haul airline ticket costs enough without splashing out for seats on each leg of the journey on top! And we get stung departure tax on the way home, i'm lucky as we don't have kids but for families with kids there is no wonder going away becomes unaffordable especially as unless they pay for seats too then someone like you may split that family up on the aeroplane!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,771 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Europa - long haul and being seated together

It really isn't fair to blame other travellers who take advantage of a facility offered by airlines. It's a choice for each passenger to make. Do you want to pay extra to get a specific seat, or not. If not, accept the risk that you may not be sitting next to your travelling companions.

Just look at it as part of the fare. Personally I am happy that, as I don't car eif I sit next to my partner, I don't have to pay more, but if an airline chose to follow your suggestion, I am guessing they would make up the lost revenue by charging everyone a bit more.

By all means blame the airlines for offering this choice, but not the customers who use it.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Europa - long haul and being seated together

Don't blame those who pay, Jools - blame the airlines for seeing an income stream they are taking advantage of ... milking! I totally agree that the system of charging is unfair, but the airlines introduced it and the result is that those who want to be certain of seating (though there is usually no absolute guarantee, even if you pay!) will pay and choose. Those who do not want to pay take what's available at check-in.

5. Re: Air Europa - long haul and being seated together

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 03, 2015