We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airfare price comparison website.

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Best airfare price comparison website.

any recommendation for the best airfare price comparison website?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

Another option - I normally use kayak and matrix to search route/airline options but book direct with the airlines rather than use the 3rd party results.

http://www.kayak.co.uk/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

Kayak is a booking site and it does not show all the low cost carriers as it can't get commission from them.

Use the matrix site referred to in reply #1 or www.skyscanner.net and then book direct with the airline of your choice.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

"Kayak is a booking site" - I consider Kayak to be a search engine although it will direct you to the sites but you cannot book with Kayak directly

"and it does not show all the low cost carriers as it can't get commission from them." - Neither does matrix, for example it doesn't list Southwest fares in the US.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

"Kayak is a booking site"

Really??

I'm not convinced that any of the comparison sites list all possibilities. I tend to check the wikipedia page of the airport(s) and see if there are any airlines that have been missed, and then check them manually.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

I think the standard rule concerning comparison sites still applies - use a few to ensure over-lap and minimise risk of a deal slipping through the cracks.

Also do your research as to whether there are any small carriers around that may do the flights if you're not looking at big/long international flights.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

Kayak and Matrix/ITA are my choices to initially search for flights, and then book directly with the airline.

I will sometimes look at other airlines that may not be listed on them, just to check.

I don't know of any that are better at showing you quite up-to-date prices on what the airlines are currently offering. It is very rare that I have ever not been able to find a price that they found.

If anything, I tend to prefer Matrix because of the options of looking at a wide range of dates, looking for the best price - that can sometimes affect the dates I travel.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

I usually use SkyScanner, it gives many comparisons and also makes suggestions for alternative dates that may be cheaper.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

The only 'rule' that should apply to any meta search sites (comparison/aggregate) is that it is used for its original purpose - to compare, nothing else. The clue is in the name.

Whether it be for hotels, flights, cars, insurance, issues usually commence from not knowing whether you get redirected or who you get redirected to. So there's a potential that you aren't actually using a 'third party' as such, you could be fourth or fifth party in the sequence of purchase (source, agent, search site, consumer), and exposing yourself to multiple sets of T&C's. It stems from a belief that it's 'convenient', when in fact it's laziness.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,137 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airfare price comparison website.

>>when in fact it's laziness.<<

Very possibly, KVE. I would also say, when in fact it's an opening to booking difficulties and frustration.