We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sense check of trans USA trip

London
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sense check of trans USA trip

When arrieving at the check in desk at Heathrow do I give the name of the airport that I first make landing at in the USA or do I give the name of the final airport?

This will be my first flight that transits across the USA. Previously just landed on the east coast and that was it.

After reading lots of posts on TA. Think I a fairly happy with the fact that once I land in Houston I will have to go through Immegration then pick up my bag, then go through customs and then try to find the United Airlines desk to recheck my bag back in. Is this correct?

Is the United Airlines recheck-in desk clearly visiable in Houston? And does the flight to Seattle leave from the same terminal as the incoming flight from London?

The ticket indicates that I need to change planes in Seattle for the last part of the flight to Anchorage, will by hold bag be automatically transfered to the new plane?

On the way back from Anchorage to London am I right in thinking that the hold bag will automatically be transfered from the domestic flight to the International flight?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,172 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sense check of trans USA trip

"Think I a fairly happy with the fact that once I land in Houston I will have to go through Immegration then pick up my bag, then go through customs and then try to find the United Airlines desk to recheck my bag back in. Is this correct?" - Yes

"Is the United Airlines recheck-in desk clearly visiable in Houston?" - It should be clearly visible just after Customs

"And does the flight to Seattle leave from the same terminal as the incoming flight from London?" - Probably not.

"The ticket indicates that I need to change planes in Seattle for the last part of the flight to Anchorage, will by hold bag be automatically transfered to the new plane?" - Yes

"On the way back from Anchorage to London am I right in thinking that the hold bag will automatically be transfered from the domestic flight to the International flight?" - Yes, after check in in Anchorage you wont see your bag again until arrival in London.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,040 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sense check of trans USA trip

Since your final destination is Anchorage AK, that is what you should say as you want your bags Tagged all the way to your final destination

At Houston airport once you clear immigration and reclaim your bags you will pass customs and then look for a transfer desk before you leave the federal area. There is one transfer desk for bags and it won't be just a united desk

You should arrive in Terminal E at Houston and leave most probably from Terminal C but do check the monitors. You should also get all 3 boarding passes at LHR

3. Re: Sense check of trans USA trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 30, 2015