We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest routes From Germany/UK to USA/Canada

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest routes From Germany/UK to USA/Canada

I can warn you this question may seem like a minefield.

My friend and I are planning a trip in the summer. My friend's closest airport is Frankfurt, Germany (FRA). My closest airport is Birmingham, UK (BHX).

The most important aspect of the trip is that we are in Vancouver for a long weekend in the middle (Aug 1-3 2014). However we have other options we would like to include:

1) To arrive and spend the weekend in Chicago (ORD) the weekend before(to visit friends). (We would then fly on to Vancouver(YVR) probably on the Monday before the weekend dated above).

2) To drive from Vancouver either to Edmonton or to Calgary. If we drove to Calgary (YYC) it would be with the idea of flying home from there. If we drove to Edmonton (YEG) we would be happy to fly home either from there directly, or drive the extra 3 hours and still fly back from Calgary.

Our aim is to fly most of the long haul flights together. For that, either I need to be in Germany, or my friend needs to be in England, or, if booked with aer lingus, we could maybe both fly to Dublin and meet up there. I have looked at a number of multi-city options and am struggling but determined to find a price under £1000. I'm asking for any suggestions. German airlines e.g. Lufthansa and Condor tend to route flights from bhx - ord through Frankfurt which could be ideal but Condor for one don't fly to ORD. For a return flight FRA - UK or vice versa (booked separately to allow one of us to meet up first and then fly back after) we are looking at close to £100. (Which we could of course split to make it fair)

Any recommendations for airlines, booking websites, travel agents, ticket types etc which you think would be beneficial to our problem would be greatly appreciated.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest routes From Germany/UK to USA/Canada

Just take a look at www.kayak.co.uk , it has a very good multi-city option.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest routes From Germany/UK to USA/Canada

Using the multi city facility on AA and gestimating dates came up with £899 per pax plus costs of getting to/from DUB for DUB-ORD-YVR and YYC-DUB

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest routes From Germany/UK to USA/Canada

I would choose Calgary over Edmonton as the end point of your drive. I'm assuming you're wanting to drive from Vancouver to YEG/YYC for the stunning scenery along the way. If that's the case, as nice as the BC interior is, the highlight of the area really is the Rockies and the drive from Jasper down to Lake Louise and Banff, and then it's only about 90 minutes to Calgary from there. The drive from Jasper to Edmonton or Edmonton to Calgary is rather boring. So, I would plan to drive from Vancouver to Calgary, via the Icefields Parkway through the Rockies.

As for flight options, it's going to come down to searching the prices across the various airlines that fly those routes. Based on the cities you've mentioned (FRA/ORD/YVR/YYC), they are all Star Alliance hubs for LH, UA and/or AC. Those airlines will be able to provide a great frequency of non-stop flights between all of those points, so I would start there, as they are likely the most convenient options. However, that doesn't mean they will be the cheapest options.

4. Re: Cheapest routes From Germany/UK to USA/Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 26, 2015