We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

I flew from Newcastle with Emirates 2 weeks ago & my check-in bag weighed 17.7kg. 8 days later, I flew from DMK, Bangkok to Phuket with Air Asia. The same bag with the exact same contents weighed 19.4 kg :).

It made me wonder how accurate some airline scales are ?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

If the contents are damper, they can easily weigh more. Humidity can make a big difference.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

That's a big difference. You sure it was exactly the same contents?

You wouldn't be the first lady in Bangkok to have an unexpected little extra in their garments ;-)

Great Malvern...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

1.7kgs isn't a lot really if scales haven't been calibrated. That's only a wet towel and a couple of wet bikinis. Also, due to humidity your things can feel damp which results in a difference in weight.

Another question I have is. Did you take toiletries with you when it was checked in at Newcastle? If you did, 8 days use of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion etc adds upto a lot (I took 7kgs of just toiletries for my wedding in the Caribbean last month) and as I used the majority of it (2 large bottles of conditioner and 1 large shampoo) and didn't buy any heavy gifts, I was the same weight coming home. I'm still confuzzled to this day. It does make you wonder how often scales are calibrated and if it is a way to make a quick buck for some airlines!..

We have a hand held scale we take everywhere (when flying) with us. We bought it for £10 (I think) it really saves the worries of, "is my bag too heavy!".

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

Did you buy anything while you were there and put it in your case? We take travel scales with us to check before we get to the airport. They aren't 100% accurate but they at least give you an idea if you've got too much in your case.

Great Malvern...
Level Contributor
574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

LOL MrMarcoos!. Very true

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,816 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

On our last flight with a checked bag it was 19.4kg on the way out and exactly the same on the way back!

Obviously the toiletries we used were offset by the stuff we bought!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

I'm a bloke called Jay from Newcastle, so no wet bikini's or shopping in my bag :).

Bag contents were identical at both check-ins. Due to using 8 days worth of shower gel, sun cream, mossie repellent, toothpaste, deordriant,, shaving gel etc etc, the bag should have weighed the same or slightly less, certainly not 1.7kg's more.

Perhaps humidity played a part, ?

Just something to think about perhaps, when packing your bag close to within your limits

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

I do believe the OP is male Mr Marcoos. Jay of Newcastle! ;-)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

I do believe the OP is male Mr Marcoos. Jay of Newcastle! ;-)

------------------------------

So was the lady in Bangkok!

Apologies Jay - I read it as Jayne!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How did my bag increase in weight ? :)

Haha mr Marcoos,,,:-))

Jay, the scales could have been under weighing on the way out and over weighing on the way back. It happens. Could have also something to do with the way the airports have them calibrated in Bangkok v Newcastle. I always try to pack a couple of kilos below the allowance to allow for any scale differences.