We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Allocated Seating

Auchinleck, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair Allocated Seating

Hi, I have a booking made with Ryanair travelling with my husband and children in June, I have noticed that they are bringing in allocated seating from 1st February.

Can someone give me some information on what this actually means, if I dont "book allocated" seats they will seat us anywhere. The last time we travelled Ryanair as a family we were scattered all over the aircraft so I want to get seats together, can this be booked now or do I have to do it when I am checking in online?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

419 replies to this topic
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
71. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

Is there anybody here that:

- travelled (with Ryanair in the last month) in a small (2-4 persons) group, all on the same reservation

- didn't pay for allocated seats and

- get separate seats?

Is so, how long before departure did you check-in?

I'm asking this because I suspect they try to put people (travelling on the same reservation) together, if possible (if they don't check-in in the last minute).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

This only really benefits people travelling alone. They're the only ones who will not have to pay for the service. At least before it was the choice of the traveller whether they were willing to queue or pay, now ryanair aren't leaving you with any choice but to pay up.

-------

I don't see why it benefits people travelling alone,they might have preferred particular seats or areas of the plane which now they will have also to pay for. It's just a different choice, instead of choosing to pay for speedy boarding or queue, now it's pay for specific seats or not.

Bottom line is, you don't have a right to the service as it always used to be, things change. If you don't like it, go elsewhere, they are a business and I'm sure make no apology for making money. Why this annoys some people goodness knows, because they aren't a charity, something some people dont seem to be able to take on board (pun not intended)

Spain
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
73. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

I just checked in my family of 5 for two outward bound flights awithout paying for allocated seats. We are all put in one row on both flights, so yes, they are being helpful. Now we are all sitting togeather and can board the plane at our leisure without even priority! I love Ryanair :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

Oh dear Mark H how will the conspiracy theorists who think Ryanair will deliberately scatter you over the plane to extract money from you, deal with this awkward fact?

Spain
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
75. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

Yes Joeintheuk, and what's more, I only booked in today (7 days prior) only tp find out they changed the rules so I could have actually booked in two weeks before which would have given even more security!

I am really happy with the changes, before we had to squeeze all our food and drink in our 10kg cabin bag, but next week them in the hold (free) and stroll casually onboard (probably the very last) with our not so little 35x20x20 bags full of goodies, sandwiched, drinks, surf tablets,books magazines, Ah, I am so looking forward to our new stress free Ryanair departure. Might even buy a drink from them now.... nah, I'll buy a screw top bottle of Chianti in the tax free lounge, after all, the plastic wine glasses will fit nicely in one of our 5 'convenience' bags :)

Edited: 9:13 am, April 06, 2014
Spain
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
76. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

by 'booked in' I of course mean 'checked in'

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

This is encouraging to hear as I have asked recently about this. I have a family of 5 wanting to sit together and wasn't sure whether to risk not paying or not.

So basically, if you check in as early as you can, you get your seats allocated right away so you know where you're sitting?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,949 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

If you're not prebooking seats they will be allocated to you when you check in online. Without prebooking seats the earliest you can check in is 7 days prior to each flight.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

Ah, thank you for that. I wanted to know the earliest you could check in online. Also, off topic here but how soon before your flight time do you need to be at the airport these days?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,949 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Ryanair Allocated Seating

I would always plan to be there no later than 2 hours prior. You never know how long security queues will be, or whether there will be any hold ups getting to the airport. The bag drop closes 40 mins prior, and boarding closes 20 mins prior.

Reply to: Ryanair Allocated Seating
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted