We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What passport do I submit when buying ticket?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
What passport do I submit when buying ticket?

Hi, I'm traveling to Mexico via the US (for 4 hour stopover) then back to Australia. I am currently living in Australia on a British passport based 'working holiday visa'. I also have a US passport.

So, to avoid issues like ESTA, re-entry into Australia- which passport do I submit when purchasing flight ticket? (I believe British- due to the fact that it is the one used for my Australia working holiday visa and makes sense for smooth re-entry after Mexico trip).

And if so (yes to British) can I then use my US passport via LA and for Mexico entry?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What passport do I submit when buying ticket?

When purchasing the ticket enter the passport details of the one you intend to use for your first point of entry. In your case that would be your US passport (for the stopover in the US).

You can show the airline your other passport (or both) when checking in for the return flight.

UK
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What passport do I submit when buying ticket?

If you are transiting through the USA as a US citizen then you need to use your US passport for that part of the journey. If your Australian visa is tied to your British passport you will then need to check in for the return flight using the British passport.

It is normal and commonplace for dual nationals to go on trips where they use different passports for different parts of the journey, so it's no big deal. It is of crucial importance, though, that your US passport is in your booking as you won't be able to board your US-bound flight if it isn't.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What passport do I submit when buying ticket?

Use your US passport, its a legal requirement when flying into the US, to use a US passport if you have one. So have that filed against your details (you generally dont have to to give any passport details at the point of purchase, just at sometime before you fly)

When you land back in Oz, just show your British one at immigration, as that is the one aligned with your visa.

EDIT: wow am I a slow typist, started this at the same time as posts 7 minutes before mine :-)

Edited: 3:47 am, January 20, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What passport do I submit when buying ticket?

Just to add to my #1.

For the return flight, assuming it's the same route (MEX-USA-OZ) show up at the airport in plenty of time before your flight, ie observe the 3 hour rule.

You will have entry clearance for the US on your US and for Australia on your UK. But you may encounter a check in agent that can't put two and two together and may cause problems. So you should allow plenty of time to sort this out, including requesting supervisors, waiting for calls to head office, etc..

This could be a poster child case of why you should show up 3 hours before an international flight.

Good luck.

5. Re: What passport do I submit when buying ticket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 22, 2015