We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

Hull
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

I was told when trying to book some flights from Man to Tampa via Atlanta, that I would be charged baggage fees for the ATL-TPA leg of the flight as it is classed as domestic. We only have a 2hr layover before onward journey. I thought it would be classed as one flight, so to speak.

Can anyone advise on this please? I've tried to ring Delta direct but always on hold, and website doesn't reassure me. Thank you travel experts!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,199 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

One one ticket from Manchester in the UK and Tampa Bay in Florida you will get one bag free all the way as Atlanta is just a layover

It should be a delta flight all the way and not KLM

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

That is correct. If you are on one through ticket your internal flight is simply a continuation of your main transatlantic flight so a free bag all the way.

Edited: 5:36 am, January 18, 2014
Hull
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

Thank you. It says its KLM 'operated' by Delta?? It was the booking agent who said I would have to pay extra for baggage Atl-tpa. They said baggage policies had changed. I didn't know what to believe.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,199 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

But if you booked a Manchester MHT-TPE ticket then out with the 25 dollars. LOL

Just making. Sure you don't purchase a ticket from Manchester, New Hampshire to Florida... We're seeing people buying the wrong tickets ..

Why an agent . Why not book directly at delta.com ?

Edited: 5:41 am, January 18, 2014
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

I hope your agent hasn't booked you on two separate tickets. Check that this is one through booking, one reference number for all flights.

You will be flying Delta aircraft. Delta and KLM are linked. 'Operated by' means 'the carrier will be'...

Hull
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

The airport code was MAN not MHT!!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,452 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

You wont pay the normal fees on the domestic leg as the international rules apply, assuming it's a single ticket as per the Delta website.

"If all flights are on the same itinerary, international fees and rules apply to passengers traveling internationally with a connection or stopover the U.S."

delta.com/content/…baggage-faqs.html

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,199 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

Dear OP I am aware you said MAN. As I mentioned we have seen and heard of people booking tickets or travel agents booking tickets to and from the wrong airports. That is all

You do know your codes so that is not the issue here. My question is why book through a travel agent who clearly does not know his luggage info instead of booking in online directly, seeing your options, choosing your seats, filling in your passenger details and getting notified of any delays etc. One stop shop

Can you do all this if an agent books it for you . Sure just takes 2 steps

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,547 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

Elaine,

If you are flying MAN-ATL-TPA on one ticket, then you'll be flying on Delta Airlines (the operating carrier). In your case (chortle) you will get the baggage allowance of the airline whose code is on the >>first<< flight, in your case from MAN. In your case it doesn't matter as even if your ticket shows KLM or Delta they have the same checked baggage rules. You'll be subject to the international baggage rules and not have to pay for the domestic segments.

[MHT is an in joke. That's a Manchester in the US (New Hampshire). Someone recently booked a cheap flight from Birmingham but then discovered he'd messed up as it was from Birmingham Alabama US, and not Brum (BHX) next to the M42, M6 or A45, down the street from his house]

Edited: 6:05 am, January 18, 2014
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,052 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KLM/Delta MAN-TPA baggage fees.

Although I live quite close to MAN I did once book a ticket from MHT. It was deliberate though! :-)

As noted, be absolutely sure your agent hasn't booked two separate tickets. If they have, then yes, you will have to pay for baggage on the domestic leg. If it is one reservation code, then they are talking out of their bottom!