We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

British Airways or US Airways?

Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
British Airways or US Airways?

We are flying US to Italy. Which is the better carrier, British Airways or US Airways and why?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
44,495 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

By popular consensus, BA is the usual choice assuming fares and schedules are similar. You generally get better service and equipment on BA than US.

However, the difference in economy isn't really that much. I would just go with fares and schedules first.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

Which class of travel?

Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
3. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

We are thinking either economy/coach or economy premium/envoy. I have traveled BA economy to Italy and was impressed (and know I would enjoy the upgrade to premium). I have never used US Airways for an overseas flight and am skeptical they can live up to my BA experience, but the cost is less.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

"US" and "Italy" is somewhat vague, but I'd have thought with US you had a good chance of flying direct from the US to your end destination in Italy, and therefore not needing a potentially lengthy transfer in London, and if upon return you can fly back to your end destination in the US direct, no need for the complications involved in lengthy US immigration queues and trying to make an internal connection.

So without knowing your exact route it's hard for anyone to usefully advise you, we might be comparing direct flights with indirect, and usually direct would trump indirect, especially if it's cheaper.

uk
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

BAs premium economy isn't comparable to USAirways Envoy class (comparable to BA Club World)

If you can afford Envoy then I would say go with that, if you are looking at Economy, BA all the way.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

For Econ go with whichever has the best fare/schedule. Service difference won't be significant enough to make up for a big price difference or length layover on one vs the other.

Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
7. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

We are flying from Phoenix to Rome then Venice to Phoenix. I haven't found anything direct from Phoenix. BA has a layover in London, and US has a layover in North Carolina on the way out and Philadelphia on the way back. We would arrive in Rome much earlier in the day if we go with US. So US Airways is more attractive for all of those reasons. BA just makes the long journey so comfortable, I wonder if US can compete with that.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,505 posts
150 reviews
8. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

I don't know if comfortable is the word I would unless you are in flying in biz class - envoy or club world . You don't mention time of year but personally we prefer to not touch our bags twice on a flight back into the US as you will have to do Imm/cust in Philly compared to doing it once in Phoenix . In winter I would deal with delays in London compared to Philly

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

If you're in Phoenix go with BA. The longer you can spend on a longhaul configured aircraft the more comfortable it'll be, particularly if you're considering a premium cabin.

If you're in economy the food/drink and IFE on BA will distract you from the cattle car experience that you get on pretty much any airline when flying economy.

10. Re: British Airways or US Airways?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 19, 2015