We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok Transit

sydney
7 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok Transit

Hi there,

I will be arriving in Bangkok at 16.35 on QF23 and want to book Sri Lankan airlines flight UL887 which departs at 18.55,this leave me just under 2 1/2 hrs to deplane and check in for my next flight.

I am flying business from Sydney then economy onward to Colombo if that helps.Am i cutting this a bit fine?

Cheers Dave

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok Transit

Dave

Firstly are you traveling one one through ticket or two separate ones? Very important as if you're on 2 tickets and your first flight is delayed, you're on your own.

BKK immigration can be very busy at times although flying business class should help you a lot.

It is doable but with concerns if you're on different tickets.

Jim

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,950 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok Transit

Dave,

2.5 hours should be okay if your inbound QF flight is on time. But you need to understand that with separate tickets you are carrying all the risk of something going wrong. If you don't make it to check in with Sri Lankan before their cut off time you'd be classed as a no show and you may lose that ticket and have to buy a new one at the walk up fare. You'll get no protection as you would connecting flights on one through ticket.

That all said, SriLankan is to join OneWorld soon, so that would help you as your inbound (Qantas) is also OneWorld so you may get protection. But that hasn't happened yet - April has been touted as the likely timeframe.

Edited: 9:40 pm, January 15, 2014
sydney
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok Transit

Thanks guys for your answers,

We will be traveling on two separate tickets but not until late May. If Sri Lankan have joined one world by then will i be able to check my baggage through to Colombo when i check in in Sydney or shall i be safe and book the later flight (21.10) ??

Thanks again

4. Re: Bangkok Transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 17, 2015