We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

Hi, I've read previous Tripadvisor forum posts before posting - hope this doesn't double up.

We have twins who will be just short of 24 months when we travel in April, want to go London-LA-London and are looking for help to ease what will no doubt be a tricky flight. We intended to buy a 3rd seat and thought the skycouch might be an inventive solution so all 4 of us can sit side by side/the girls can sprawl and sleep on us/the footrest. Know well from previous posts that we won't be able to lie down - we're not looking for that, just how to make best use of economy facilities.

Anyone got any feedback or experience of this, I would be very grateful... Thanks!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

A couple of things I can think of off the top of my head:

Will your girls still be < 24 months when you return from LA to London? Probably they will, it's just your use of "just shy of" that makes me wonder.

Also, you might need to consider the supply of oxygen masks. I don't think you would be able to have 4 people in three seats if there are only three oxygen masks available to those seats. I know almost nothing about O2 masks and air travel, so I don't know if there are any configurations where there are more masks than seats.

You could possibly do some sums to see whether booking two adult seats, plus two child seats and paying for the third in a Skycouch row would be within your budget. I think this would make your lives easier as your children would be able to sleep that way. OR if you're flying with a 3-4-3 configuration you may be able to book two adults and two children in the centre 4 and your children could put their heads in your laps. It won't gie you the footrest effect of the Skycouch but it may be an option to consider.

Edit - just saw something about bringing a child seat if you have a seat for an infant. That would seem cumbersome and there would be really nowhere else to put it. Does anyone know if an under 2 needs a child seat (car seat type arrangement) if said child has his or her own seat?

Edited: 6:45 pm, January 14, 2014
London
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

Hi AussieGirl, thanks for your post. I read your previous ones on the forum.

No, we are travelling back before they're 2 and so trying to avoid paying for 2 seats for them. Good point about the oxygen masks but we've already spoken to Air NZ who didn't flag this up as an issue. Will check before I book though. I don't think you need a special seat either from our conversation.

The question is whether it's worth paying extra for skycouch or just book a block of 3 seats.

Does anyone know how far back the arm rest go on an ordinary block of seats??

Thanks again, and if anyone else has thoughts, please let me know,

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

Good point about the oxygen masks but we've already spoken to Air NZ who didn't flag this up as an issue

======

It definitely has an effect on where you can sit, I know couples with two kids have been split up before because of that issue.I would triple check that.

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

Thanks - we've had this issue many times on European flights so well aware but checked and neither BA nor ANZ saw us 4 sitting together as an issue. We also have friends with twins who've travelled together transatlantic with both on their laps (braver than me!). That said, you are both totally right to triple check as that would be a killer so thanks.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

How do the oxygen masks work in a regular lap child situation? Is there an extra one up there?

Found this discussion elsewhere:

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php…

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

There's usually an extra oxygen mask, but only one in each row. On our small regional jets here, there's not an extra on the side with only one seat, so lap children can't sit there, and you can't put more than one lap child in a row.

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

Re oxygen masks internationally - spoke to BA today who said on a 747 there are 3 oxygen masks above the three seats + an extra one.

8. Re: Air NZ skycouch for 2 adults & 2 infants (not lying down)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 22, 2015