We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

Whistler, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

I am traveling to Aspen Piktin Airport from Vancouver Airport on January 22nd, I fly through San Francisco. My layover time is around 1 hour 30 minutes, when booking this flight through United it said that the first flight into San Fran, is often delayed by 30 minutes +. Leaving me with around an hour of transfer time or less.

How easy is it to transfer onto a second flight? If I land in Terminal 1 and need to get to Terminal 3 how long will this take? Do I need to go through security again once entering San Fran airport?

I booked a non cancellation flight so therefore do not have much choice when it comes to canceling.

I am a newbie to San Fran airport so I appreciate the help :)

Thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,888 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

You should have plenty of time. Are you flying on one ticket?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

If you're flying Air Canada they currently don't have a "home terminal" so you may arrive at International-A, INTL-G, or Terminal 1.

The only case where you'd need to reclear security is if you arrive at INTL-A. If you land at INTL-G there's an air side walkway to T3 (you may have to hurry because it could be a 15 min walk to your gate). If you arrive at T1, follow the signs to the United Express gates, and then use their inter-terminal bus to take you to T3. Again you may have to hurry when you reach T3 but that bus will eliminate having to reclear security.

Good luck.

Whistler, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

Yes flying with one ticket, it is with United airlines. First flight is with Air Canada, but operated by United. I just have never been to San Fran airport, is it easy to navigate? And our staff helpful?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

"Yes flying with one ticket, it is with United airlines. First flight is with Air Canada, but operated by United"

In that case you'll arrive either in T1 (follow instructions above) or T3. You will NOT have to reclear security.

Note that the newly refurbished concourse in T3 (the ex-American one) is due to reopen soon. That will allow all United flights (incl UX) to return to T3.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

I have changed terminals at SFO with a 37 minute connection time.

Whistler, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

And you were successful with your 37 minute connection? Thanks for all the help.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

Yes. They have a shuttle bus that transfers you between terminals.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

You should be fine.

9. Re: Enough time to make the flight? San Fran Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 15, 2015