We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage on Swiss

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,769 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage on Swiss

Looking for any recent feedback or experience regarding Swiss international flights - how strict and stringent are they for carry on items?

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage on Swiss

the simple thing to do is to look at their baggage limits for carryon and make sure you comply with the size a weight limits.............. fairly simple,why risk being slightly oversized or over weight.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage on Swiss

"how strict and stringent are they for carry on items?" - Always a good idea to stick to the published rules, even if somebody else got away with breaking them on a previous flight it does not mean you will as enforcement of baggage rules can be down to the staff on duty on the day of the flight.

Sticking to the rules is not only the right thing to do as far as consideration for fellow passengers who will also need access to overhead lockers is concerned but avoids any nasty surprises.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,769 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage on Swiss

The question was not an attempt to overdo things - but I have seen times when on one airline or another people were hassled because their carry on was 2 oz. over the limit - and we all know that no two scales will ever come up with the same weight, so it's good to know how hard nosed they may be.

thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,473 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage on Swiss

I personally find that most carriers are implementing their full rules on carry on luggage. I do find with checked luggage there may be a wiggle room of a kilo or so but that really depends on the carrier the low cost ones being more likely to apply the strict rules.

Edited: 5:13 am, January 10, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage on Swiss

Carry on tends to be applies strictly in Europe, with a particular focus on the size ie dimensions.

Personally I make sure my bag was within the dimensions and weight limits set. Because otherwise there is a risk they will force you to check it. My assumption is that my home scales are of a lower quality and not as well calibrated as the airport ones ( doh), so I always pack under,,,so Swiss allows 8kg, I would recommend packing 7kg as that gives a buffer. If you take it right up to the eight, then yes you might find it actually weighs 9 or ten at the airport. Fine if you cAn take something out and wear it or shove it in your pockets. Not so fine if the dimensions are also over. Then it's going to be gate checked.

So assume they will be hard nosed, and you can take a risk, but as long as you know they may force it to be checked. If they do, remember to take your valuables out of it first.

6. Re: Baggage on Swiss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 12, 2015