We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

So I'm looking at Emirates return flight Toronto to Delhi via Dubai. For exact same flights Emirates site quotes $1676 while Expedia says $1458 (all final prices with taxes in) and I'm wondering why the (big) difference? That's big savings for 4 people flying, is this a no-brainer or are there disadvantages to booking through a 3rd party (on past flights we always booked directly with the Airlines).

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

Expedia prices may not be 'live'.

I always book direct with the airlines.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

mr cruiser, see posting: "Expedia: Do not book with this company" Sept 26. I have not used Expedia, and always book with the airline directly.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,528 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

Search the forum for various topics on the disadvantages of booking with a third party. They have less customer service and are between you in the airline so if you have to make changes or need to call the airline for anything, it's going to be more difficult. That said, Expedia is one of the larger, more reliable ones. Occasionally you can find significant savings on the third party sites. So you can decide if the savings is worth the possible hassle. For that much savings, I'd book with Expedia.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,651 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

If there are any flight changes, delays, cancellations you will be talking to Expedia not the airlines. They then may keep you on hold for a while, call the airlines on your behalf to see what they can do, call you back at some point, or wait for you to call them again to see what they found out.

I have booked non stop with Expedia, but the risk for something going sideways is lower than a multi flight booking.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

we usually check out http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

then book directly with the airlines. but I agree with wes, those are substantial savings and multiplied by 4 makes it even more attractive.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

I see you are the same person asking about buying the 2.5hr connect or 9 hour connect in Dubai....this is more than likely the reason for the price difference with Expedia. I believe you will be sold the 9 hour connection time at that cheap price not the 2.5hr. ( I could be wrong)

As you are also worried about weather delays I would most certainly book with the airline. (Nothing worse than being told your flight next day is cancelled by your agent what do you want to do versus having the airline ring and move you immediately

Edited: 2:39 am, January 09, 2014
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,526 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

If Expedia price is not live when you come to book and goes up to the airline price or near or it is a worse connection time your decision is made for you, book direct with Emirates.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

For 220*4=880USD, I'd have no issues booking with expedia. Although, I prefer to book direct with the airlines, I have booked with expedia, without any problems, in the past when great savings were to be had.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

I agree it is always better to book directly with the airline. However I have used Expedia a lot and used them to save money. They are a trustworthy company in my opinion. I have also had some problems (not Expedia's fault) which they have resolved satisfactorily. They even got me a refund on hotel cancelation when none was due.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Book with Expedia or Airline Co?

Travel agents (including Expedia) will often have negotiated rates with airlines on certain routes which could explain the price differential.

These NETT fares often have much more restrictions than the airline's regular published fares so be sure to fully read up on the fare rules. This will often mean 'Changes Not Permitted' and this means exactly what it says. You will not get an exception for (a) being a loyal customer, (b) you have an unexpected hospital appointment, or (c) your aunt is about to pass away.

If that is acceptable to you, then by all means book with Expedia. What you need to remember is that for every complaint about Expedia (and others such as Opodo, Cheapoair) on Tripadvisor, there are thousands who have no problem whatsoever.