We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

Dual passport (Italian and british)

Hello guys, I wonder if you can help me with this. I have 2 passports, Italian and British and I live in the UK. A few months ago, I booked a return flight to Italy, and because at the time of the booking I wasn’t a British citizen as yet, I have used my Italian passport details to fill the API. The flight is next April and in the meanwhile (so after the booking) I have gained the British citizenship. I have read quite a bit about travelling with dual passports (so leaving and entering the UK with a UK passport and leaving and entering Italy with the Italian passport) and I was wondering whether I should now update the API with the British passport details or I can leave it as it is with the details of my Italian passport.

Also, as we know the passport is checked twice at least twice at the airport: once at the check-in and at the passport controls. I would like to clarify which passport is used when (even if we know that I have to leave and enter a country with the passport of that country) Same scenario, travelling to Italy from UK and back. At the check-in in UK I will show my British passport but at the passport control I could – in theory - show them the Italian passport, couldn’t I? On the way back in Italy at the check-in I will show my Italian passport (even if I purchased the ticket using the details of my British passport) but at the passport control I could show them the British passport, couldn’t I?

thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

If you already hold a European Union passport issued in Italy there would be no advantage whatsoever in obtaining a European Union passport issued in the United Kingdom as well.

Especially not for travel between the UK and Italy as you will be in the EU Passports queue in both directions.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,673 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

The only advantage would be outside the EU where different visa rules exist for each nationality

In OPs current case I would just continue with the Italian passport

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

thanks wirewiper, but that's not the point, I already have the two passports.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

Alanrow, if I continue (ie I don't change the passport details on the API from italian to british) will I not have problems at the check-in/passport controls, meaning isn't the "leave and enter a country with the passport of that country" rule enforced in any way?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,265 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

I can't see any problem here.

I have dual British and Israeli nationality, and I live in Israel. I must enter and leave Israel on my Israeli passport. When I entered the API for a flight to London a few months ago, I used the details of my British passport. When I checked in at Tel Aviv airport I showed both passports. And the same when I left Luton airport to fly back.

A small complication was that while I was in London I renewed my British passport, so after getting my new passport I had to tell the airline that I had new passport details for the return flight. In retrospect it would have been easier to use my Israeli passport details for the API, but either would have been perfectly acceptable. The API is only to check that the passenger is who he says he is, and not somebody else. The airline isn't immigration.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

OK Shuffaluff, so I can do what Alanrow suggested and leave the italian passport details in the API and bring with me both passports.

How about the second part of the question about using different passports at the check-in and passport controls?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,265 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

You can use whichever passport details you like for API, and show both passports at check-in.

At immigration (passport control), which is something else entirely, you use the appropriate passport for the country you are leaving/entering. So in my case when entering and leaving the UK I showed my British passport, and when entering and leaving Israel I showed my Israeli passport.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

Citizens of EU member countries have the right to enter, live and work in any other EU member country. Therefore bbbo can always use his Italian passport to enter the UK. In this case, a UK passport is not needed (although there is no harm in having one).

bbbo, you do not need to change the API in your reservation. Use the Italian passport for this trip.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

Ok thanks guys, just wanted to pick up on something Shuffaluff said. Is it strictly necessary to show both passports at the check-in? I mean if I book my flight using the UK passport for the sake of argument, surely I can use my UK passport only at the check-in whether I am in UK or in Italy. Isn't that correct?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dual passports: API, check-in and passport control

"Is it strictly necessary to show both passports at the check-in?"

bobo,

For your current trip between the UK and Italy, the answer is NO. As you have total freedom of movement between those countries you can use either passport either way. They both allow you entry and exit from both countries.

In this case even if you enter the details of one passport into the airline system, and show the other one at check in, it won't matter as both give you the same access. In other words, for this trip you are overthinking this and getting unnecessarily worried. Don't worry! :-)

If and when you travel outside the EU, EEA (Iceland and Norway) and EFTA (Switzerland) you may well encounter some restrictions (Visas, ESTAs, etc). But for your proposed trip you will have no problems whatsoever. Enjoy. :)