We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parent has British passport, child has Australian passport

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Parent has British passport, child has Australian passport

Just wondering if anyone knows about travelling with children on different passports? Most of my family are Australian-British and have passports for both countries but I recently gave birth to a baby in Australia and will be applying for an Australian passport for her. Can I travel in and out of the UK with my baby if I use my British passport and she uses her Australian one? I have a feeling this may be prohibited due to the risk of parents leaving countries illegally when a child custody case may be pending...? There is no child custody battle in my situation, thankfully!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parent has British passport, child has Australian passport

I don't think there is a problem, but it may be a good idea to carry a copy of your child's birth certificate to prove that you are the mother. My sister in law has a different nationality passport (Israeli) to her 2 year old son (UK) and they have traveled into and out of the UK (without my brother).

Also, you don't state whether the father is traveling with you. If not, then to avoid any issue regarding custody concerns you should carry a notarized letter of consent for your daughter to travel signed by the father. Just in case immigration calls you on it.

Edited: 12:39 am, January 07, 2014
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parent has British passport, child has Australian passport

Also, you don't state whether the father is traveling with you. If not, then to avoid any issue regarding custody concerns you should carry a notarized letter of consent for your daughter to travel signed by the father. Just in case immigration calls you on it.

Only applies where the father is named on the birth certificate.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parent has British passport, child has Australian passport

I presume that at least one of you (the parents) are Australian citizens or permanent residents? If not, your daughter may not be entitled to an Australian Passport. Being born in Australia does not automatically entitle a person to citizenship.

4. Re: Parent has British passport, child has Australian passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, January 09, 2015