We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

abbreviated name on ticket

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
abbreviated name on ticket

Hi - I am traveling in Europe later this year and have booked tickets with my christian name of Rod instead of Rodney. My surname is still the same.

Is this going to cause me problems at the point of departure?

There is a cost to going on line and changing the ticket details.

Thanks.

Alberta
Level Contributor
663 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: abbreviated name on ticket

Does that match the name on your passport?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: abbreviated name on ticket

"Is this going to cause me problems at the point of departure?" - Potentially yes if the ticket and passport names do not match, you are at the mercy of the airline and risk being denied boarding.

At the very least speak to the airline and pay the fee to change the ticket to the name of the passport to avoid the risk of losing the ticket.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: abbreviated name on ticket

For what its worth I've travelled 50 times in Europe and always book in the abbreviated version of my 1st name 'Alex' , not Alexander as on my passport, and never using my weirdly long middle name, and no-one has ever even commented at check in, or when I pre-register for Spanish immigration/security controls. But that's maybe not helpful as I've not done many long-hauls.

4. Re: abbreviated name on ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, January 09, 2015