We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

Is it possible to get a good deal from Australia to Europe and/or the Middle East in the June-July period? This is the only time of year my husband and I can get away annually, and every year when I start trawling the sales fares they seem to side-step this period - perhaps because of school holidays? Should I just take what I can get now or wait a bit longer? Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,389 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

School holidays barely cause a flutter on the international market, only on some routes domestically - usually end destination locations. Seasonality in the northern hemisphere can affect the fares, but it's all to do with load management on routes.

Best thing is to sign up for emails with airlines servicing routes you're considering, and have a look at www.skyscanner.com and www.matrix.itasoftware.com

Edited: 1:40 am, January 06, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

That's peak season. For Europe So won't be many specials. If you can leave end of may that may lessen the coat slightly. It has doe me in the past

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

As a recently retired teacher, I've always found school holidays the most expensive time to travel.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
966 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

When did you start looking? We booked airfares to Europe with Emirates, via Qantas, departing in June and returning end of July for $2400 per person. We booked on an Earlybird sale at end of November, early December. I had a look at the same airfares today and they are coming up as $4400 per person!

I am fairly sure they usually have another sale soon. Keep checking. Sign up to Bestflights.com.au. They will send you emails with all airlines flight specials. I only use them to see what sales are on. I prefer to book directly with the airlines then, as any changes that might happen (on either side) can be organised directly rather than through a third party. You can also sign up to individual airlines newsletters so they will send you any specials via email.

Good luck and keep checking. I wouldn't rush to book just yet. You still have time to pick up a sale fare.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

Try Royal Brunei they come in at the cheapest, there was an ad on the radio this morning for $1499 return to London via Brunei and Dubai.

$2400 to me is top dollar when purchasing early for June thru Aug, we purchased flight on Emirates earlybird sales for Sept/Oct and paid only $1900 pp return and if you do leave it too late you will be paying a fortune

Timing does make a difference school holidays, Easter and Xmas are always priced higher. If you go onto the QF site in their Sales area and click "view all specials and dates", locate where you want to go then click on "view details date and book" it will show you the pricing for the season/Months so you get an idea of what you are likely to pay and budget for.

However if the place you want to go to isn't on sale you won't get that info. I peruse this area a lot when I am contemplating travelling somewhere

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

I think peak season begins around mid June (15 or 16 or 17 or 18). after that it will be the high prices, so if you can go just before the peak season starts you could still get a good fare.

$2400 is probably top dollar. Royal Brunei has some good fares & I think by then they will be using their new dreamliner planes.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
966 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

I probably should have mentioned that is a multicity itinerary for $2400. That includes flying into and out of Townsville and going through several European cities. We depart Aus on June 26 and return July 27. Judging by the prices on Emirates and Qantas websites today, then it is a bargain, rather than top dollar.

I had a look at Bestflights. Just plugged in some dates in June returning end of July into and out of Paris and Cathay Pacific have a rate of $2000.The cheapest was China Southern with $1800.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

I plugged in those exact dates (June 26, July 27) into http://matrix.itasoftware.com

and the cheapest came out to be Vietnam Airlines at A$ 1640 return

9. Re: Availability of cheap flights from Australia July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 08, 2015