We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa check in times

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa check in times

Me and my boyfriend are travelling from manchester airport to Newark in February. We are travelling with Lufthansa and our flight is at 9.00am. I thought that we had to check in three hours before for an international flight, however we have just been told by someone that lufthansa check in only opens two hours before. Does anyone know what time we will need to be at manchester for a 9am flight?

Thank you in advance!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,420 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa check in times

I would get to the airport three hours beforehand no matter what time the check-in desks open. It is unusual for a transatlantic flight to only open check-in two hours before the flight. Does it say anything on their website?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,494 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa check in times

I doubt they only open 2 hours prior as check in closes 1 hour prior.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa check in times

Okay thank you we will get there three hours before to be safe! On their website I could only find the time the check in closes. We are booking our transfer to Manchester airport so needed to know what time to be picked up, it was the transfer man that said all lufthansa check ins do not open until two hours before so thought I would make sure before confirming a pick up time with him. Thank you very much.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,513 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa check in times

Hi, i would always plan to arrive 3 hours before an International flight, even if the check in does only open 2 hours before as you can never tell what might happen along the way like traffic etc.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa check in times

That's great thank you!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,813 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa check in times

"We are travelling with Lufthansa and our flight is at 9.00am." - Although you might have booked with Lufthansa this flight is a code share operated by United Airlines and you will check in with UA - the last time I flew this route with UA the desks opened 3 hours in advance and there was already a queue for check in.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,423 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa check in times

You need to be at the airport check in desk by the time it closes or you will be unable to board, but you will want to be there much earlier than that! :)

Like others, I always aim to be at the airport around three hours before the flight leaves, sometimes longer if there is a more complicated journey involved. It is a less stressful experience knowing ther eis a built in margin for error.

UK
Level Contributor
7,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa check in times

What is your actual route? If you are flying with United (with someone suggested) then you're not going to be on a Lufthansa code because that wouldn't make sense for a flight from MAN.

If, as I half suspect, you are flying via one of LH's German hubs (FRA or MUC) then your first flight is a short-haul flight, and if you were told that check-in won't open until two hours before departure then that is probably correct because this is not at all uncommon at outstations where airlines have to pay handling agents to man the desk for them.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthansa check in times

Yeah my travel agent said something about both United and lufthansa, I was also told on the New York City travel forum about it being a code share but my flight number begins with LH so I just assumed it would be lufthansa so I didn't really understand.

Our flight is direct from manchester to newark. We have booked our transfer to manchester now and we will be getting picked up in time to be at the airport for around 6am for our 9am flight.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,813 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthansa check in times

"my flight number begins with LH so I just assumed it would be lufthansa so I didn't really understand. "

With code shares it's common that the same flight will have different numbers - the Man to Newark flight is UA 80 and the same flight also has the LH 7635 number (for random departures in Feb). Both flights will show on the airport monitors but the key point is you check in with UA who will be operating this flight.