We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways low cost carier

Nice, France
Level Contributor
13 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways low cost carier

I made a reservation for a return flight Nice-Bangkok in Business Class for two people on the British Airways website. After having paid for my flights, I wanted to reserve my seats; to my great surprise I was requested to pay an additional €300 like on a Easy jet or Ryan Air low cost flight.

I did not know that British Airways was also a low cost company - does this mean that when on board I would be requested to pay for the meals ????

I am used to flying in Business class and this is the first time I have been requested to pay extra in order to reserve my seats. This is total rip off and not at all commercial on the part of BA as at no point in time is it stipulated that the reservation for the seats is at extra cost.

Therefore I would recommend flying with Emirates, Qatar, Oman etc… who at least live up to their reputation.

DON'T FLY BA - IT'S A RIP OFF !

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,370 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways low cost carier

If you have no status with BA then yes, you have to pay for seat reservation. But it is free when you check on line within 24 hours of departure....

Edited: 1:14 pm, January 04, 2014
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways low cost carier

BA have been charging for seat selection for some time now. You don't have to pay as you can leave it until 24 hours prior to departure and select your seats at no extra cost.

I personally like having this option rather than having the price built into the ticket cost. Presumably, if you can afford Business Class to Bangkok then the extra charge should not hit your wallet to badly.

No doubt if BA had charged you euros 150 extra in the price of the ticket then you would not be ranting on TripAdvisor.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,370 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways low cost carier

To be honest, if you are paying shed loads for a biz class seat, you would expect to be able to select your own seat....but OP is going over the top specially on the French TA.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways low cost carier

This comes up from time to time and I can see why some may be caught by surprise. Personally I don't mind the system and evidently BA feels it's working out well for them despite the OP's claim that it "isn't commercial". It's certainly not a rip-off and as already noted, seats are available to pick for free when check-in opens.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways low cost carier

How is it a ripoff if they haven't charged you anything for seat selection?

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways low cost carier

It really doesn't take too many business class flights to hit BA Silver.

As soon as you do that, you can select seats at time of booking for free. I think even with Bronze, you can select them a couple of weeks in advance.

Seeing as you are a regular business class traveller, this will probably not be too much of an issue for you.

Personally, I quite like this system.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways low cost carier

'This is a total rip off' It really isn't BA are far from the only airline that have **optional** fees for seat selection. If you do not want to pay to book seats in advance you need not do so.

There is a minuscule to zero need to book seats in Club Europe for the flght from NCE to Heathrow, and only a >need< to book seats for LHR to BKK if you are very very fussy about where you sit.

If you have any Tier Points now then after having flown NCE to BKK you will have earned 180 Tier Points. Bronze EC members may select seats free of charge from seven days before flight departure, with only 300 Tier Points needed for Bronze status. You will be Bronze on your return from Bangkok and will then have seat selection as above for the next year. If you have enough Tier Points now to become Bronze on arrival in BKK, so much the better.

One simply has to be able to take a long view.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways low cost carier

If I want to select my seats in Club I just factor this into the total cost. I then compare this total with other carriers. Why am I going to fly with another carrier if BA's price is lower even if I have paid for a seat reservation? A meaningless rant.

It's up to the customer to compare like with like. As others say there is no need to pay for a seat you can do this at OLCI for free.

Have I heard Virgin are now charging or going to charge for seat reservations, don't know if it's all classes.

9. Re: British Airways low cost carier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 06, 2015