We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

s f
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
353 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

Hello, I have a question about buying a Round-trip ticket into a country, using 1-leg(to get in), then leaving to go home from a different city, on a totally different ticket.(the reason for buying the 2-way(entry ticket) is that it saves me over 300$ to book the round trip vs. 1-way). More information: The “second leg” of the "return ticket"(that is not being used) is not scheduled until after I leave the country for good. When I apply for the Visa, I will of course have to show the Embassy that I have an entry date/ticket and an exit date/ticket. As stated this will be on two totally different tickets/airlines, with 1 round trip ticket that obviously will not be used. Has anyone ever done this? Am I over thinking this too much? Is this legal? Or should I just pay the extra money for the 1- way to avoid problems?

Thanks so much!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

What the deuce? Start again.

What passport do you hold? To what country do you wish to travel? It sounds as if you plan to use a throwaway ticket (airlines dislike these; there may be repercussions when using a return ticket in this manner) to travel to that country, but then 'leaving to go home from a different city' - a city in the same country you wish to enter or a city in another country?

Depending on the above, if you apply for a visa with a travel document from A-B-A and another from C-A then there may be questions about your intent upon arrival. Without knowing much more there is no way to answer your question.

s f
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

Travel on a US passport:

Traveling from Cyprus to Volgograd, Russia (on throwaway)......1-way air-travel to St. Petersburg, Russia ----home(US) on United Airlines ticket.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

Sigh...every time I see how much time someone spends to try and save a buck I wonder if they just used this kind of creative thinking to get ahead at work then they wouldn't need to worry about saving a buck with risky schemes.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

You're looking to fly from LCA to VOG via Moscow, then travel by air from Volgograd to St Petersburg and fly back to the States from there.

I would *not* use a throwaway ticket when applying for a Russian visa. Make a dummy application to ascertain if it is allowed; if so then have a go but be prepared for close questioning at SVO.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

Well, the OP is not saving a buck but 300 of them and I don't see what is risky about the plan.

Everyone knows that while "throw away ticketing" is frowned upon, people miss flights every day for a hundred different reasons - some planned, some unplanned. The OP will be leaving Russia before the visa expires. Again, loads of visitors cut short their stays in countries around the world every day for a wide variety of reasons.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see a problem.

There's no reason you can't use your St Petersberg to US ticket for visa purposes. The Russian immigration officials couldn't care lass about throwaway ticketing. Nor could they care less which airport you depart from.

s f
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

That answers all my ?? Thank you very much. I will pay the extra $$$. Did'nt think it was a good idea, but it's always worth trial run on a forum.

Thanks again!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

I agree with eva, I dont see any issues with this, the throwaway ticket is an irrelevance to the authorities, what they care about is an exit ticket. You would have two exit tickets, and could always show them the United one if you want.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

I do see problems if the Russians check and find two exit tickets. That will immediatley raise alarm bells in regard to counter terrorism. s f could be in for some very lengthy questioning.

Cheers.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

Hi

this happens all the time in SE asia where one flys into one country then exits and comes back to fly back home out of the original country on rt ticket

I would not throw away the ticket but contact the airline after your first leg and before you are scheduled to fly back and tell them your plans have changed and you can't use the last leg but want to use at a later time if possible. depending on the airline and what ticket you buy. you might end up with a credit. or at the least make the airline happy. if you just don't show up for last leg the air staff will be looking for you and could cause them more work then needed. plus it frees up space on the flight earlier which might help someone

who needs that flight.

10. Re: Round Trip Ticket, using 1-Leg, with potential Visa issues..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 05, 2015