We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover at Jfk

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Layover at Jfk

Hello all

I know this question has been asked a million times but I have a question for the layover time at JFK. I am planning on buying a ticket directly from BA, and my flight arrives at 7:15pm from Montreal to JFK and then the flight at 10:55pm leaves for London. I was wondering if 3 hours and 40 minutes would be enough for immigration and customs? I am not sure if I will be traveling with just carry one but with or without luggage, will I have enough time?

Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover at Jfk

see.........cbp.gov / airport wait times - jfk

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover at Jfk

'I was wondering if 3 hours and 40 minutes would be enough for immigration and customs?' More than ample time. Why?

Because if you fly from YUL to JFK you will go through the US border preclearance formalities at Trudeau airport, then fly to the States as a domestic passenger. Your flight will be operated by American Eagle, and if you book a through ticket with BA as the carrier to London Heathrow your bag (if you take one) should be checked through from YUL to LHR.

Your flight with American Eagle will arrive at T8 with the departing flight on BA from T7: www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airport-map.html

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover at Jfk

WOW TravellerPlus, this has been the answer that I have been searching for so long. I don't think anyone was able to put it as simple and direct as yours. Thank you SO MUCH! I had no idea Trudeau did that. When I would arrive at JFK, I would basically have to just transfer to my next flight I am guessing?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover at Jfk

Je vous en prie.

I will leave the details to others, but yes, on arrival at JFK you will make your way to T7 as if you were on any other US domestic connection.

A handful of Canadian airports offer preclearance, it really is handy. The process, at YVR, is one where you will stop at a check in desk or kiosk to get a boarding pass - and look for stacks of blue US Customs declaration forms (take a pen, as you'll need it for that card and the UK landing card as well). You'll take your bag from the check in desk to a drop point where it will be scanned and your boarding pass checked for the first of many times.

After that it's Security (and more boarding pass checks) then US immmigration and Customs card collection. The fastest I've gone through the whole thing is about 15 minutes, but allow for the potential of queues at any point.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover at Jfk

Again, thanks for all the info. Just one last question if you don't mind. How would I get from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,454 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover at Jfk

You get from terminal 8 to 7 via Air Train. It is no charge. At terminal 8 you follow the air train signs! Then make sure you get on the air train going in the correct direction. THere are red jacketed personnel on the station to answer your questions. THe trains ( actually they are a monorail) run every 5-8 minutes and the ride itself should take 2-3 minutes.

7. Re: Layover at Jfk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 03, 2015