We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Us airways

doncaster
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Us airways

Hi,we have found flights to orlando next November with us airways for a good price, could anyone tell me what they are like,inflight entertainment, meals,staff?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Us airways

Have a look here to start:

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/us_air.htm

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Us airways

In economy most US carriers are alike. Meals are not great like all airlines but don't choose your flights based on that. You will have seat back TV and I have found the staff to be fine.

US are currently being swallowed up by American Airlines so what the merger will bring is anyone's guess. Maybe not much change, some schedule changes I imagine, which you should keep an eye on.

Edited: 10:44 am, December 30, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,073 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Us airways

Actually although American will keep the name it is a merger with US Air taking the lead and not getting "swallowed". I agree that most USA carriers are similar in terms of food/service etc. in coach. Take care that if you need to change planes somewhere that you allow plenty of time between flights!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Us airways

Having flown with them for a number of years now, mainly Manchester, Philadelphia, Orlando.

Saved a fortune over Virgin costs as well.

Our next flights booked.

I think they are fine. Meals as all other carriers I've been on, rubbish, so we take a picnic. IFE is fine on the A330/200, non on internal flights. We always take our own anyway.

When I'm saving anywhere between £1200 & £2000 over Virgin (who's service is no where near what it used to be) that gets us more holidays a year.

After all, the flights are just a means to an end:-)

doncaster
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Us airways

Thanks for the replys the route we are looking at is manchester Philadelphia,Orlando, we have a stop in Philadelphia of 2 hours 35mins do you think this is enough time for clearing customs, and making the connection?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Us airways

2:35 ought to be enough (barely) but by next November the merger with AA will be in full swing. I think there's a high probability of schedule and equipment changes appearing in the meantime. If you're traveling around Thanksgiving weekend (27-31 Nov.) then all bets are off - busiest travel days of the year in the US.

Edited: 1:14 pm, December 30, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Us airways

As far as meals, in flight entertainment, staff, they are almost indistinguishable from the other big USA airlines like United and American and Delta. If they've got a good price and itinerary, go ahead and use them.

2:35 is about the minimum I'd want for any transfer from international to domestic in the US. And of the Thanksgiving weekend travel, really other than the Wednesday and Sunday, when everyone flies, it's not all that bad. If you fly the Wednesday or Sunday that week, expect a lot of crowds.

doncaster
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Us airways

Thanks the flights are on Tuesday 4 th November just checked flights with Virgin and they are charging about £400 more for the same day,I will most likely book with us airways and spend the extra in orlando!

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Us airways

hi, I have travelled 3 times Glasgow, Philadelphia , Orlando/Tampa with US Air.

Frankly meals are crap, take something with you, on Glasgow flights no seat back entertainment, and every connection from and to Philadelphia has been delayed, so you will have plenty of time lol.

the price of the flights more than make up for any inconveniance

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Us airways

I'm sure Glasgow route uses different planes. I think there B757's. Manchester uses A330/200's, far better planes.

In over a dozen flights from Manchester we have booked a 2 hour stop over & on all but 1 trip we've had time to wander down to the food court for a meal.

The1 time we didn't have time for a meal, we still had time to grab a snack on route to the gate. With no undue rushing:-)

One of the great things with the connecting flight, (so far) they have departed from Terminal A or B. So you arrive at International Terminal & A/B Terminals are the next along. So not far to walk to once you've cleared security.

I've had emails saying things won't change straight away, but it will be interesting to see how things unfold.