We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Florida

Northampton...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Florida

I am travelling to Okeechobee in Florida during the Easter Holidays, the flights are so expensive but there are some good deals on "cheapy" websites. Has anyone got any views on who to book through please as I am a new long distance traveller and sick of looking !!!

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Florida

Just about everyone on this forum will advise you to just book directly with the airline you intend to fly. And, at all costs, avoid booking through a 3rd party with the word 'cheap' in it's name. You will often discover that any promised savings are just a mirage, and if things go wrong, you will have limited or no service to fix things.

You can use any number of websites for searching routes and fares, but when it comes time to book, go direct to the airline.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Florida

Florida at Easter is a busy period , probably 2nd busiest after Christmas and prices will reflect that. What's the best price you have come up with so far?

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Florida

What airport do you want to fly to? Orlando international is used by Virgin, BA and a few charters and it's a 105 mile drive to Okeechobee, Sanford airport (just north of Orlando) is used by other UK charter companies and it's a 125 mile drive or Virgin, BA and a few others fly to Miami but then you have a 130 mile drive. The drive is easy and not to much of it is on the interstate.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Florida

OP you are flying to one of the most popular places on the planet at one of the most popular times. You will not get a cheap flight.

There are ways of saving some money. Consider flying indirectly with a layover in the US...

Consider flying from Dublin (lower tax and good US preclearance of Customs/immigration)....

Consider different airports for arrival such as MCO TPA and MIA.

One way to lose money and gain a whole bowl of stress is to book via a 'cheapy' website.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,705 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Florida

Welcome to the forum.

If you do feel compelled to use a 3rd party for the ticketing, BEFORE you spend 1£, do a Search of TA, for that particular company. Also note: many such companies change names quite often, so do not let that confuse you.

Travel safely.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Florida

Take a look at

www.kayak.com

This is a very reputable booking website but they don't sell flights - they gather prices and then direct you to the website. I've never had a problem with anything booked through a Kayak referral.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Florida

Just to clarify Kileysmom, Kayak is fine as long as you book the referral at the actual airline site.

Kayak links to the likes of Opodo, Crystal Travel and Travel Trolley, all which have reputations that stink the place out.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Florida

Those must be UK companies as I don't see them here. I'm surprised Kayak is referring to questionable websites. What are the problems with these vendors?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Florida

Consider Aerlingus.com / from Heathrow to Orlando via Dublin

Youtube " U S Customs at dublin airport "

How do you intend getting to Okeechobee ?

Its about 1 hour and 40 minutes down route 441

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Florida

Ah yes Kileysmom. This is the UK Kayak site I was referring to. As the OP is from the UK I wouldn't want them purchasing anything from some of the the linked sites as many of these are not very reputable to say the least.

Kayak / skyscanner et al will link to any site that pays them enough money to do so. Whatever their reputation.