We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allianz Travel Insurance

Canberra, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Allianz Travel Insurance

Wish I could make the same happy comments as the previous reviewer but find I am very confused and upset by the decision to refuse my claim that was recently made by Allianz. I will say upfront that the staff are lovely and kind, and very empathetic, but, the reason for my claim being rejected just does not make any sense to me.

In July 2013 I booked three plane tickets to go to Hong Kong for an operation that cannot be done in Australia (non-bone breaking bunion surgery) my two sisters were coming with me so they could look after me on the way home.

I was told in August I needed a stent placed in one of my heart arteries and as a result was put onto blood thinners. This meant I had to cancel my operation because of the risk of excessive bleeding. My claim was rejected. But this is where I have trouble understanding the logic for the refusal. The policy I took out clearly states:

"We will pay your cancellation fees and lost deposits for travel and accommodation arrangements that you have paid in advance and cannot recover in any other way if your Journey is cancelled or shortened at any time through circumstances neither expected nor intended by you and outside your control."

What happened to me was certainly "neither expected nor intended and was outside my control" and yet I have been told that " "We will not pay under any circumstances if: (17) you take a blood-thinning medication such as Warfarin (also known under the brand names Coumdin, Jantov Marevan, and Waran)" I do note that I am not on any of the above, a different name altoghether!

I was not on this medicine when I made the booking and did not know I would be put on the medicine and now I am over $3.8k out of pocket and feel I have done nothing wrong, I do not understand the logic for the refusal, based on the comments above it suggests to me that Allianz can always refuse a claim simply by ignoring the fact that the medicine was not being taken at the time of the booking. My reason for letting people know is that I would like to think other people will avoid taking out insurance with Allianz as they do not honour their own policy.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

They are probably using the prior medical condition clause which if you do not disclose when purchasing the policy gives them an out. The only way to get the money our of them is for your doctor to categorically state you did not have the heart condition when purchasing your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

Agree with Jagjetfly. If you did not have this condition when you booked and were not on any form of blood thinning medication at that time, then your doctor will need to confirm this with them. You will need to write back to them with his or her details explaining the facts.

England
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

I would also recommend you ask for the refusal of clam in writing, this is your right. Then using this as per previous post, get a letter from your GP to back up the fact that you didn't have the previous MC before purchasing. Then send both letters along with a covering letter asking for Allianz to reconsider keeping it factual.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
670 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

Renata,

The declinature of your claim should have provided information that if you were not happy with the decision, you could have the claim referred to their Internal Claims review process. You should take advantage of that opportunity.

If then the claim is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can have it reviewed by the Insurance Obodsman (spell?).

Keep us informed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

It's Ombudsman. If you are unsure of the procedures to lodge a formal appeal, talk with Fair Trading or Consumer Affairs in Canberra.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

The insurer may have obtained a copy of the medical records without OP's knowledge.

It's apparently permitted, see paragraph 23

https://ama.com.au/position-statement/guidel…

Doctors don't always advise patients of all notations in records.

Edited: 6:13 am, December 28, 2013
Canberra, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

Thank you very much for all your kind suggestions, I did send a letter from my doctor with my claim and I have also put in a formal complaint and asked for a review of the decision. I just wanted to let people know what has happened as I thought it was not right. I will go to the Ombudsman if I do not get a satisfactory explanation from Allianz. Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
670 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

Renata,

This is the only way forward for you. For extra credit, you may wish to review "The General Insurance Code of Practice" and its section on Dispute Handling. It prescribes the time frames and behaviour that Allainz must now comply with.

Section 35 of the Insurance Contracts Act may also have some relevance, as the cover Allianz has issued may be in breach of that section.

Keep us informed.

Edited: 3:00 pm, December 28, 2013
Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

My question on this issue, is the blood thinning medication preventing you from traveling?

I think the ins company is not viewing this coverage denial based on you being unable to have the surgery but rather whether you have a medical opinion that states you cannot travel based on the blood thinning medication.

In other words, although you cannot have the surgery, do you have sufficient evidence that states you are unable to travel due to this new medical condition.

Edited: 3:34 pm, December 28, 2013
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,161 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allianz Travel Insurance

Maybe a different blood thinner or dose but a few years ago my hubby had a PE and was on blood thinning meds. His consultant told him he was fine to fly, infact he was probably at his safest while on the meds. He made several flights with no problems.