We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different Countury Different Price

Qingdao, China
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Different Countury Different Price

We booked two roundtrips between Hawaii islands via the Hawaiian Airlines website. As other airline companies, HA provides multi-language website pages. In China, the official website automatically turns to www.hawaiianairlines.com.cn. However, for the same itinerary, the US and China websites show hugely different prices at the SAME TIME. For the roundtrips between HNL and ITO we booked, in China we paid about US$780 for 4 passengers, but if we booked through US website only $576 needed. Those prices were checked at the same time.

I traveled a lot via different airlines, but I never found such a large price difference provided by one Airlines for different language speakers. It's racist. Also at HA China website there is even no review and confirm processes before charging your credit card. I am really disappointed with this booking experience.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different Countury Different Price

"I traveled a lot via different airlines, but I never found such a large price difference provided by one Airlines for different language speakers. It's racist." It's not racist but market forces and different prices across different countries for the same flight is common in the industry - it's no different from buying an IPAD in the USA compared to other countries which will charge a different and often higher price.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different Countury Different Price

Oh my, the "R" word thrown about lightly.

As tom says it's market based pricing, plus there may also be a forex impact in there. It's no different to multiple other global brands which can be cheaper in one country v another country. You might not like it or agree with it and think every country should pay the same price, but it's certainly not racist. What an awful thing to write.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different Countury Different Price

Definitely not racist.

I once paid for a flight CMB-BKK in Colombo. About half the price as I would have paid for the exactly same flight in Bangkok.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different Countury Different Price

Yup - local prices reflect local demand and market conditions

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,935 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different Countury Different Price

I've just checked round trip business class flights between Portland OR and Bangkok on United, departing Feb 13 and returning Feb 27.

PDX-BKK-PDX : $6215

BKK-PDX-BKK : $3105

I live in Portland. Should I go screaming discrimination? Of course not. That's just the name of the game.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different Countury Different Price

PDX-BKK-PDX : $6215

BKK-PDX-BKK : $3105

======

I dont think different directions is what the OP is complaining about.

I read him (?) complaining that HNL - ITO - HNL is US$ 195 booked through the Chinese language HA website and USD$144 booked through the **same website** using the English language pages.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different Countury Different Price

Yes you should USBT

In fact better still, start packing up your house and move to Bangkok. Because then you'll save 50% to...visit home LOL

OP, youve only got a post count of 1, which means you havent posted this on the TA China site. Wouldn't it make sense to post there? It's not a language based decision, it's market driven.

Edited: 11:10 am, December 28, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different Countury Different Price

Was it the same website?

I thought they were distinguishing the price difference between .com and .cn

I could be totally misreading it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Different Countury Different Price

I thought they were distinguishing the price difference between .com and .cn

======

They are but thats all the "HA website" (in non technical terms) especial since one redirects to the other and its the same company

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Different Countury Different Price

Ah yep I understand, good point joe. Makes sense.