We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virgin atlantic personal item

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
virgin atlantic personal item

their website says i can take a personal item:

"Your handbag, pocketbook or purse, as you would normally use it (in other words, not just being used to contain items that would otherwise be regarded as baggage)."

could i take a backpack or do they consider that as baggage? i have a long journey and would rather take a backpack since it will be easier to carry

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virgin atlantic personal item

A backpack is baggage.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: virgin atlantic personal item

hmm thanks for the reply. i flew delta last month and they let me take my backpack as my personal item....i guess ill be digging out one of my oversized handbags :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: virgin atlantic personal item

US carriers are much more generous (IMO overly so) with what constitutes a personal item, some people seem to translate that as "a suitcase most others would check".

Seems fairly obvious that a backpack is not a "handbag, pocketbook or purse," and I wouldn't push it with a huge handbag either, IME Virgin do weigh carry on items. And this is in addition to a carry on bag, its not the only item you can take.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,978 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: virgin atlantic personal item

Your backpack will be your "carry on" luggage on VA. As well as that you can take a small handbag.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virgin atlantic personal item

You are allowed one bag and one personal item. The back pack is the bag. Be wary of how big your over sized handbag is, because if they consider it to be another main carry on bag they could force you to check your back pack or other bag. Ie they may view it as two bags and no personal item.

It's really best to comply with the rules rather than trying to bend them to take as much on as possible. Sure many times people will get away with it,,,but in many other instances others they dont. And then end up on here complaining they were forced to gate check their bag.

6. Re: virgin atlantic personal item

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 25, 2014