We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dual Citizenship questions...

Istanbul, Turkey
7 posts
Save Topic
Dual Citizenship questions...

Hello all!

So I have dual citizenship, and one of them is Turkish!

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo, and I want to use my Turkish passport, because a visa is not required of a Turkish citizen to enter japan, which makes everything so much more easier.

My Turkish passport is BRAND NEW. No stamps. No visas.

So here's my little problem.

I got my new Turkish passport while I was in United States for college.

However, i'm not a citizen of the US,

and I entered and exited the US as a student using my OTHER citizenship.

Now i'm working in China using my OTHER passport,

so basically, my Turkish passport is completely empty, issued in the US, yet doesn't have an exit-borders stamp from the US.

My question is, would it be a problem if I presented my turkish passport to the japanese borders

and they see that it's issued in the US yet i have no US visa on it, nor do i have us exit stamp, and it's just super empty. Or…do they not care where your passport came from, just that you may enter the country legally?

Did i just manage to confuse everyone?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

You will be fine since the US has no exit controls. Therefore there would be no stamp in your passport on exit. And since it's a new passport, how will the Japanese officials know that the entry stamp wasn't in an old Turkish passport which you no longer have?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

Why would Japan care whether you have a visa for the United States? Your US visa is in your other passport, which is the one you use to enter and leave the US.

And why would Japan care that there is no exit stamp in your Turkish passport? Plenty of countries don't stamp on departure.

As long as you can legally enter Japan, that's all that matters.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

You should be fine.

If you are flying to Japan from China, here's what you do.

1) Present your Turkish passport to the airline at check in, as the airline checks for entry clearance into the destination country. You may also need to show your Other passport just to satisfy them that you have been staying in China legally.

2) At the immigration desk for Exit formalities at the Chinese airport, show them your Other passport with the Chinese entry stamp (and visa?). That's the one immigration needs to see to check you out of the PRC.

3) Use your Turkish passport on arrival at Japanese immigration.

For your return, you do the mirror image of 1 through 3 above (show your Other passport with China entry clearance to the airline, exit formalities using Turkish, and Chinese immigration using Other).

I cannot see any issues with this. The only thing I could think of if any restriction in China about having two passports, but then I have two passports (US and UK) and have entered the PRC on both, though I exclusively use my US one from now on.

Edited: 6:36 am, December 23, 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

Thanks for the replies, guys!

They're very helpful : )

I'm just worried that if i exit China with my other passport and enter japan with my japanese passport,

then it puts my other passport "in the air" this whole time.

I exited china…yet went no where.

Will that be a problem? That I left china without going anywhere and now i'm back?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,399 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

<<then it puts my other passport "in the air" this whole time. >>

People with dual nationality do that all the time. You leave country A on your first passport, and arrive in country B on your second passport. Nothing remotely unusual in that.

I have dual British and Israeli citizenship. I must enter and leave Israel on my Israeli passport, and enter and leave Britain on my British passport. (If I go to a third country I can use whichever passport is more convenient.) So flying from Israel to Britain, I switched passports in midair, so to speak.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

You received good advice. Take it, it will work. Don't think too much.

My wife has dual citizenship and does exactly as described by 'US Business Traveller'. Never had a problem.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,063 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

I think you worry too much. nothing abnormal about your situation. They are not looking for your life story, they just care that you qualify to enter their country.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

I don't think that it's mandatory to enter the UK on a UK passport.

My wife has dual US/UK and uses both

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

"I don't think that it's mandatory to enter the UK on a UK passport"

It isn't. I'm dual UK/US and enter the UK on my US passport, and did so again on Saturday.

But, this question is about travel to Japan (apparently) from China with one passport being Turkish. Even then it should not be a problem.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dual Citizenship questions...

I am also a dual citizen ..UK/NZ.

I entered the UK on my Kiwi Passport, but i was questioned etc etc ...can be done , but not as convenient.