We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

I was booked on a flight from FRA to LHR and held online boarding cards. The flight was the last flight out that evening and we were told by text at 1.30PM that the flight was cancelled and to contact a phone no. which gave a message to say the office was closed due Sunday and to check the website. Website gave 2 options 1. cancel and refund. 2. rebook next available BA flight which was midmorning next day. As we had to get home without fail Sunday night I booked 2 of the last seats immediately on LH and paid Eu600 for them. We could find no reason for the delay or info at the airport and no other flights had been cancelled. When I phoned the insurance company the next day which is recommended on the BA website to "cover all you need" I was impolitely told they didn't cover cancellation by the airline so unlucky!! I contacted BA who said they would only refund the part of the trip we hadn't used and not their problem basically! so I am now £500 worse off because BA and the Insurance company refuse in any way to help. I paid £300 or so for the BA roundtrip, and I received today the handsome sum of £85 for a refund!!!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

What they forgot to tell you is, that you are due to receive compensation under EU regulation 261.

For BA please see: britishairways.com/en-gb/information/legal/f…

For general info: …wikipedia.org/wiki/…Cancellation

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

You should have called BA to enquire about the possibility of re-routing the same day rather than booking the new flights on your own. There are phone numbers of their website and they are not closed on Sunday. As above, compensation *may* be due depending on the reason for the cancellation.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,294 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

Not sure any UK insurance will cover cancellation by the airline. It's up to the airline to either refund, or re-route you to get you to your destination. You shouldn't have just booked more flights yourself without speaking to BA.

You'd have known the insurance didn't cover this if you'd have checked the policy before buying (or even up to 14 days later you could have cancelled the policy for a refund if the cover wasn't suitable).

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

BA offered cAncel and refund. So they refunded the remaining portion of the trip exc the taxes which was your request? You then purchased new tickets, and you wish these reimbursed. Is that correct, that's the 500 out of pocket?

There simply appears to be some confusion. You should have called them and asked them to reroute you. Cancel and repurchase was the worst option, but I can see how misleading that BA info was. I also see how you did what would seem obvious to someone not familiar with airlines.

Did you call the French numbers? As I think these are closed on a Sunday. But the uk one is open daily. So you should have called these. Hindsight is a beautiful thing though....

I would put it in writing to them because I do think the way it was handled was misleading. Avoid emotion and explain you simply wanted to be rerouted and this was you right under e261 and the numbers provided did not give that option and nor did the website as such you were effectively forced to act independently.

As you do so, you may also wish to add the compensation claim if applicable.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,337 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

There have been so many trolls recently that I am not sure which questions are real.....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

Agreed, although the last BA flight to LHR was cancelled from FRA on Sunday a couple of weeks ago so I guess that gives some credence to the OP being a genuine poster.

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

Thank you all for your input!! I am not a TROLL as you put it but a genuine ex BA traveller who was not in a position to call BA or check numbers on their website as my internet access was limited on my mobile and I was well and truly stuck and felt totally let down by BA and the insurance company they recommend. I have since been informed by BA that the crew had run out of hours so the flight had to be cancelled and they have offered some compensation in addition to the refund . It is all very confusing and believe me I would rather deal on the phone with a real person any day than rely on information given out by the recorded phone messages from closed offices and websites which are not really clear. That is of course providing the person is half reasonable!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

I don't see how you were let down by BA since you never gave them the chance to help you out.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

I'd have called the insurance company before I bought any flights with my own money, did you try that or were they also closed, which would be unusual, normally they have an emergency number.

You may be due a EU261 compensation amount, what have BA offered?

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA flight cancellation not covered by insurance BA sell

December 8 was a Sunday and was the day of the technical air traffic control problems that caused so many problems at airports in the UK.