We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

Ba to be the first in Europe - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25435155

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

I hope this doesn't mean we'll have to deal with people honking into their mobile phones on top of the other discomforts we already suffer being crammed on the planes!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

The gadgets have to be in flight safe mode, so no, there's no risk of you having to listen to someone else's inane conversation. Thank God.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

Marketing more than something really useful for the passengers.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
35,754 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

Not useful for passenger? I want to read my ebook during takeoff or continue my game on my iPad. Nothing wrong with that.

Now it has been proven that the previous excuse saying that these devices were interfering with the plane's electronics was rubbish.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
45,272 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

The US carriers have already allowed their use previously. I used my tablet during takeoff and landing so it was good to have something to do since I no longer travel with actual books.

I do hope they never allow mobile/cell phone use on-board though.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
15,540 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

<<Marketing more than something really useful for the passengers.>>

Seriously? So now you can read an eBook, listen to your own music, take a photograph out the window, etc. I would say it's pretty useful. Having experience this renewed sense of freedom for the last two months in the USA, it's made a very positive impact to the flight experience.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

We are talking of a relatively limited lapse of time. I can survive without using my Ipod and e-reader during taking off and landing, there are other improvemente that would have a major impact on my flight experience, not this.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

We are talking of a relatively limited lapse of time.

========

Irrelevant, as it was a pointless ban. I also wouldn't say it was that short, IME it can be half an hour to an hour for take off (eg once you leave the gate to getting high enough for them to be switched back on, in the old regime) and similarly landing sometimes the instructions to turn off are made as descent begins, which can easily be half an hour or more before getting to the gate.

So, I see no merit in your "well its only xxx amount of time" argument. Why does that make it OK to pointlessly ban it?

Out of interest, what are your sugegsted other improvements that could be made during these times that would be of more benefit, >>>>and that are held back by relaxation of the ban<<<, since you imply this is taking priority over some other ?

For example " we were going to give back rubs, but the vote was for iPads" .. though thats a bad example as you could do both. So we are needing an improvement that relaxation of the "iPad" rule is stopping?

Edited: 8:54 am, December 24, 2013
9. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, December 24, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
45,272 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA allows gadget use during take-off and landings

I don't mind if somebody considers it "marketing." I personally find the lifting of the gadget ban useful.