We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

Munich, Germany
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

Hello,

I'm looking for ways to best express my anger and frustration at British Airways. Suggestions welcome. I am scheduled to fly with them tomorrow. When trying to check in online, I was confronted with a page entitled, "Landing Page Errors", the content of which is reproduced at the end of this message.

Basically, the page indicates that online heck-in is not possible and that I should proceed to the airport. No reason or solution is given. I guess their system is down or malfunctioning. Or maybe there is a problem with me or my flight. Impossible to say. It is not clear whether this is a temporary error or if there is a problem with my particular flight. When I tried to fill out a complaint on their web site, the form simply failed to accept any data (hitting the continue button caused the form to be erased). I guess this is a web site problem more than an airline problem. I presume I am destined to fly in the back of the plane, in between two large people.

British Airways Error Page:

Sorry, Online Check-in is unavailable

We are unable to offer you Online Check-in for the flight we have found in your booking.

Before checking in, you can use our 'Manage My Booking' service to prepare for your flight, such as:

Provide Advance Passenger Information for travel to relevant countries

Upgrade your class of travel

Add your Executive Club number to your booking

Advise dietary requirements

View, print or email your itinerary

Print or email your e-ticket receipt (if applicable)

Change the date / time of your flight

To check in and receive your boarding pass, please proceed to the airport.

104 replies to this topic
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

Where are you flying to? It is possible that you have not entered the appropriate advance passenger information. It may also be that they need to verify your ID before they will allow you to check in. I got that last week with a United flight.

Have you looked at "Manage my booking"? There might be a clue there.

Edited: 12:38 pm, December 18, 2013
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

You may be travelling to a country where a visa check is required.This is often the cause of online check in to refuse to cooperate.

Alternatively if you are flying to the USA you may have been selected for random extra security,which is outside BA's control.

Either way you need to check in at the airport.If it were me,I would allow 15 mins extra on my arrival time.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

could be the class and type of plane has changed or

perhaps you have an upgrade

no need to rant

it happens all the time

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

The OP isn't ranting, just having a good old-fashioned heck-in! ;-)

Edited: 12:59 pm, December 18, 2013
Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

Fingers crossed for an upgrade. We got to the boarding pass machine and it flashed red I think, they told me our seats had been changed, for a change I did'nt rant and we had been upgraded.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

>>Basically, the page indicates that online heck-in is not possible and that I should proceed to the airport. No reason or solution is given.<<

I believe the solution they offered was to proceed to the airport...As others have indicated, this sort of thing happens all the time, especially if it is an international flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

Have you put in your advanced passenger info and what route are you flying?

Without more info, it's hard to help. It could be the website is down, and you can try again later. It happens, but I'm not sure there is really any point in getting angry with them. It's happened to me before and I was able to check in later.

I've also been unable to check in due to the fact I needed extra security. However I suspect this is simply either it's due to the route being flown, lack of api or simply the website is down.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

It's not typical for online check-in not to work but I've seen it happen for a few reasons, typically one of the following:

-large scale weather or operational issues

-massive overbooking

-upgraded

-lack of API in the booking

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,053 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

You also could be working with a browser that is having compatibility issues.

My personal feeling--you have to check in at the airport--you can check in all stressed that you couldn't do it online, or you can check in more relaxed, just accepting that sometimes s**t happens. You might as well do the latter since nothing is accomplished with the former.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working

Given that there haven't been massive numbers of people complaining it may be a problem unique to you

At the very least try different internet browsers and/or computers. If you are going to the US then pack some KY Jelly (other lubricants are available) - under 100ml of course - as there's a good chance you will be "encountering" US security

Reply to: Angry at British Airways - online checkin is not working
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted