We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st class with a toddler!

Spokane, wa
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st class with a toddler!

Hello!

So my husband insists we use his free first class upgrades when we fly home for Christmas. However we have an 18 mth old that will be traveling with us. Any tips from others who have flown with a toddler! I can only imagine the dirty looks now, sigh... But hey, it I the holidays right? It's a 2 hour flight.

Thank you

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,478 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

As you mentioned, some passengers will may not be delighted, however that is their problem.

Enjoy. 2 hour flight is not long. Just prepare some food for him and take it with you on the plane.

If possible during take-off and initial climb as well as when descending make him suck on something. That should help him to equalise the pressure.

Edited: 11:23 am, December 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,866 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

Don't worry about other passengers. It is such a short flight you'll have landed before you know it. First class domestic is definitely nicer than coach but not really that luxurious and exclusive to where a toddler is out if place.

Edited: 11:35 am, December 07, 2013
Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

You shouldn't worry at all for a 2 hours flight. But for such a short flight, I wonder if it's really worth it to be in First; but that's definitely your decision.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

While it is almost always disappointing to see a child of nearly any age in 1st, it is what it is and you have every right to be there. I admire your concern for others but go for it. It is important for you to be comfortable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

For a two hour flight I would not think it worth it to be honest, personal decision though. However other than people wondering why you are flying first for such a short flight, I don't think anyone will bat an eye lid at the fact there is a kid there.

Even if you were flying the real deal ie long haul in lie flats, I doubt you would get any issues unless your kid was disrupting the cabin. So make sure your child is not running the aisles or disruptive and no concerns.

However I would re think the need to use the upgrades for such a short flight.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

calpol

(-:

Seriously,for 2 hours it is a no brainer.

If it was a thirteen hour red eye long haul then please post your date and flight number so to warn other pax.

SS

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,212 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

If it's daytime, I don't see why a short flight would be a problem. Whether it's a good use of points is more debatable, for the same reason,but they're yours (or your husband's anyway) not mine:)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

Too funny swimmer take the child on the 2 hour flight and enjoy.

Spokane, wa
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

Thanks everyone! He gets a ton of free upgrades and the only international flights we take are to Mexico, so nothing longer than a few hours :) I thought the same, why waste the upgrade, he said it expires.

It's a 6am flight from lax to Seattle, so nothing too long, thank god!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st class with a toddler!

Well then, don't stress it, it's no biggie. It's a short hop, and an upgrade burn, most people in the same class will be doing the same thing. Just keep your child non disruptive. Am surprised it expires and no better use, but if that's the case that's the case. No different to having a toddler in economy. You will only get dirty looks if your child does not behave,

To explain, I have done the same with my daughter, flying business with her at a very young age and when children behave then the other pax are no issue, iin fact very sweet, t's only the non behaving children where there is an issue. However for a couple of hours, it's no big deal.