We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Oh help! I am meant to be flying from Brisbane to Botswana in 10 days with my husband and kids and I have a huge problem.

I am an Australian citizen but i have lost my citizenship certificate and i do not have an Australian passport, only a British one.

I applied for a proof of citizenship certificate last week, however i am worried it will not be accepted as i cannot find proof of my birth name (i was adopted and included my adoption certificate in the proof of identity - it just does not have my original name on!). I only got Australian citizenship 2 and a half years ago and all I can think is that I left the certificate in my home printer that got thrown away about a year ago.

I naively thought I could use my British passport on this trip. You see, I used it a few years back but at that time I had a permanent resident visa which ceased as soon as i got citizenship.

The department of immigration say that I should be able to leave the country but will have trouble getting back in again. However 'should be able to' is very unnerving, and I am not convinced. The lady is spoke to actually sounded a little unsure herself.

My children and husband all have Australian passports so they are all ok. We are meant to be meeting family in Botswana and to be honest this is a complete and utter nightmare.

Does anyone know for definite if I will be allowed to fly out on the British passport? Perhaps i could then have the australian passport posted to Botswana. Mind you, this is assuming i get the proof of citizenship certificate on time.

What on earth should I do?

Any advice appreciated, Claire

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Ah, ok, so you don't need an australian passport you just need the certificate?

I would call the office dealing with your paperwork and talk to them about the urgency of travel and see what can be done,.

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

My British passport is valid - it is the permanent resident visa inside the passport that is no longer valid.

Really think I should delay my trip and the rest of the family go without me 8-(

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

You will need an Australian passport.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

That's what I thought and hence why I asked.

Claire you need to get your certificate then get an australian passport.,,,maybe they do a same day emergency service?

I would phone the certificate office, explain urgency, then get emergency appt for passport, but it does look lie travel may be unlikely....

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Before you visit Immigration office find every bit of paper you can that may be remotely valid for your application. Items such as letters regarding your initial citizenship, anything regarding when you arrived in Australia, letters from the Gov saying that now your entry visa in the British passport is no longer valid as you now have Australian citizenship so you can produce some documentation to assist in your application. These letters and documents should be filed away in a secure area because they are important. Also get them scanned and store the copies on a USB drive or similar with a password protection and carry that with you also so if anything happens overseas you can produce copies of these key documents.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

No need to panic, you are not the first one in this situation. Australian passport was issued in your name, so they have all your information in their system. Take your drivers license and husband's passport(your name should be there on his record) and your ticket to the place, where they issue same day or within few days passport.service. Try to call and check with them, what else they need, you should also have a social security card. This can be easily resolved in 10 days.

www.dfat.gov.au/brisbane/passports.html

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/BrochuresWe…

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

sam, it doesn't sound like the OP ever had an Australian passport, but was planning to travel on the British passport with her certificate of citizenship. So don't know that the passport agency would have info.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Warriorjan, you are right. First time applying for passport without Citizenship Certificate will make things hard.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Try to call and check with them, what else they need, you should also have a social security card. >>>>>not in this country.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Passport and Citizenship - Huge Problem!

Please check this link for documents you need to apply for passport.

https:/…IdentityDocuments.aspx