We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

A friend of mine is travelling to Inverness to defend his dissertation in mid-January. He will fly out of either Indianapolis or Chicago OHare.

In exploring flight options, it looks like few airlines fly into Inverness. Flybe appears to be one of them.

Would it be better to fly into Edinburgh and take the train to Inverness? I see flights available on BA from ORD to EDI with a change at LHR.

Is weather a factor in Scotland in January? If so, would he better off flying all the way to INV or taking a train there from Edinburgh?

He has not traveled in the UK before, so a simple routing that has the least chance of potential problems is preferable.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Looked at KLM flights but seems ORD-AMS-INV route has nearly a 12hr layover in AMS which might be a bit off putting

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Yes I noticed that long Amsterdam layover too. I also found a routing that is all on LH that is ORD to FRA to ABZ. He is talking about flying into ABZ, renting a car and driving up to INV.

He has no experience with trains but I am trying to talk him into giving those a try. How does one get to the rail station from the airport in ABZ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Yep 12 hours is too much. Is there nothing via Germany?

I only ask as last dec and then again in jan this year, I got caught up in snow delays in heathrow and I was shocked at just how badly they handled it,,,the roads were basically clear when they ground to a halt. As such for me, I am reticent to travel via the uk late dec into the first two or three weeks of jan.( I'm Scottish and live in Brussels,)

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Dont think there is a train from the airport but there is a direct train from Aberdeen to Inverness takes about 2hrs 20mins and costs about £17 return for more info try thetrainline.com there is also a bus/coach service as well

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

The nearest train station at Aberdeen/ABZ is Dyce, which is a couple of miles away. And is on the Aberdeen-Inverness line. So there won't be any need to go into Aberdeen itself. To get between the airport & the train station, there is either a bus service or taxi. No idea of prices/costs though

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Just heard from my friend. He booked the Aer Lingus flight to Aberdeen. So thanks for the info about trains. I will look up that station on nationalrail.co.uk and explain to him how to get to the station from ABZ and buy a ticket to Inverness.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

For information on his return from ABZ tell him to look at the Dublin Airport website and there is a link to CBP video which explains the whole pre-clearance procedure

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Hi it depends what what want to do once you get there, it's a beatifulI drive but in January the road may not be clear and the snow gates might be on.

Booking the train in advance you should get a decent price. It's a lovely trip by train. British airways sometimes factor domestic flight price if you have flown in from far away. Edinburgh and Glasgow are very pleasant airports to connect in, there will not be an Inverness direct from London I think. Have a great time, Scotland is beautiful and invershneckie is a lovely little town !

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

Or spend a night of so in. Edinburgh on the way, especially if you haven't done that before it's a beautiful city, my home city so I would say that but it's true !

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Flying from the US to Inverness, Scotland in January

And flybe are not that reliable. I'd go by train from Edinburgh or Glasgow, getting the best deal to get to either of those cities. The train trip is a really pretty one.