We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing - scuba bag/gear allowance

C D
Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Sunwing - scuba bag/gear allowance

I am travelling to Mexico in December.

I have thoroughly read Sunwing's baggage allowance on their website. I have talked with Sunwing customer service more than once.

I have been verbally told by Sunwing customer service that ALL scuba equipment MUST be packaged separately in a separate 'rigid/hard-shelled container to be stored in the baggage compartment in the aircraft'. After talking with Sunwing customer service I was told this meant scuba equipment must be transported in this way in either a hard-shelled suitcase, or a plastic storage tote that you can buy at Walmart. I have been told that they allow an excess 20kg for this transport of scuba equipment over and above their checked baggage limit of 20kg and their carry-on baggage limit of 5kg.

I have read their description of Scuba Equipment, and it includes all necessary scuba equipment (regulator, air supply, pressure gauge, tank harness, face mask, fins, snorkel, knife, spear gun, air pistol, and safety vest/BCD), however Sunwing's written description does not include: a 'wet suit' or 'dry suit' or 'scuba boots' or 'scuba hood' or 'scuba gloves'.

I want to know if anyone has had recent experience with Sunwing with packing their scuba equipment separately as required by Sunwing, and if so, did you pack any of the following: either a wet/dry suit and/or scuba boots/hood/gloves, did you pack this in with your other scuba equipment, in this extra hard-shelled container separate from your checked luggage as Sunwing requested?

I want to know if anyone knows whether Sunwing considers these articles as 'clothing' or 'scuba equipment', because Sunwing does not allow 'clothing' to be packed in with your other scuba gear.

I leave for Mexico in less than two days. Does anyone have an answer for me?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing - scuba bag/gear allowance

I think you are over thinking it personally, although I have not flown sunwing with scuba equipment we have on other airlines and you can put your wet suit where ever you choose. Personally we don't pack equipment separately in this way to seperate it, because that feels like a bit stamp saying " steal me" on it, but n this instance you are looking to take it over and above your luggage allowance and not pay for it. Your choice.

If they don't inc it in the list don't add it to the equipment bag. I guess you want to inc it because you want to take more luggage in your basic allowance. I would not but it's your call.

Either way, just make sure you are insured for any potential loss.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing - scuba bag/gear allowance

Like foggy never used Sunwing but have used Virgin UK to Florida. We always pack the diving gear in a separate bag but not a hard one, and stuff all the other diving gear in it to take it to it's max weight.

Dry suit in Mexico? I thought you Canadians were a lot tougher than that! The sea there is 70F+. We only get 65F at the end of summer if we are lucky.

Again as foggy said check your insurance details it's the max value of a single item that can catch people out.

Edited: 5:37 am, December 07, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing - scuba bag/gear allowance

"Dry suit in Mexico?"

If I were doing enough diving in 70F water to justify bringing my own gear, then I would definitely pack a drysuit. I frequently do long duration dives (sometimes 2-3 hours in-water time) in the Florida springs, which are similar temperature. This simply would not be possibly in a wetsuit, so a drysuit is the only way to go - it's much easier to use (if properly trained), less bulk, dries quickly, and keeps you warmer (particularly important if doing several dives a day over several days).

I have never flown with Sunwing, but luggage is luggage - I see no reason to declare dive gear separately from other stuff that I pack, and in fact I have never done so on any flight that I have taken with my gear. I always put my mask, regulator, and dive computer in my carry-on, and check the rest of it in whatever bag that I plan to use on the boat. Even with my drysuit and a weighted backplate it's under 50 lbs. I have never been challenged over it or had to pay any extra fees.

Technically speaking, the only part of SCUBA gear that is actually "SCUBA" is the tank (which most people don't take with them anyway when flying). The rest of the gear is just bits of metal, plastic, and rubber - certainly nothing to raise any sort of fuss over, provided it is not over the weight allowance.

I would just pack it in a plain heavy duty nylon duffle - make sure there are no SCUBA logos or identifying emblems (such as dive flags) so as not to attract unwarranted attention. Also make sure it is under the weight allowance and just check it with your regular luggage.

-JimG

Edited: 1:10 pm, December 07, 2013
4. Re: Sunwing - scuba bag/gear allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 09, 2014