We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

Anniston, Alabama
2 posts
Save Topic
Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

I am flying on frequent flyer miles from ATL to AMS on Delta . My final destination is JRO (Kilimanjaro) on KLM. I have a 2 hour 10 minute connection in AMS. I am having trouble with Delta in getting them to check the bags through from ATL to JRO.

If I end up checking the bags just to AMS as Delta says right now, is it possible to make this connection? Specifically, what is the routine to get the bag and get to the KLM gate? Recently I flew out of AMS on KLM and the security was at the gate so this may help. The flight leaves ATL on Dec 18.

Thanks in advance.

Lewis

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

If you have to collect & recheck luggage then you'll be passing through immigration and customs and will have to pass through security to get airside again.

I wouldn't want to bet on making the next flight

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

I've only ever flown into Amsterdam or connected via it but on one ticket.

Unless there is a specific circumstance then you have to do immigration, collect your bags, go landside, recheck in for your next flight and go through security. If you don't make it, then you are a no show and you are responsible for buying a new ticket to get to jro,,when there is next a seat available.

It's a really short time frame and a fairly high chance you will miss it, so if you can change the inbound do so, make it about five or six hours before hand to be safe. If it's a really important flight, do a day in advance.

Seperate tickets are always risky, because ultimately you are liable if you miss. The airlines are only responsible to get you from point to point.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

On my way to Schiphol now actually.

If your flight is on time then 2 hours will be enough to collect and re-check your bag- just. I would plead with the check in agent in ATL to check your bags through to the KLM flight.

Otherwise you just need to collect your bag from the carousel, get upstairs and recheck your bag at least 1 hour before the flight.

They are partner airlines on this route so can't see why this is such a problem for Delta.

Also check in online for the KLM flight before you leave.

UK
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

Security is at the gate and you would have to go through security regardless of whether or not you go landside... so that won't be a factor.

The hold-ups you have to worry about are Immigration, baggage reclaim, bag drop and your outbound passport check. You can't just pick up the bag and drop it off again, you need to go landside, go upstairs and join the normal bag drop queue.

Immigration queues can be quite long. Baggage reclaim can be painfully slow (though you will have spent some of the baggage waiting time queuing for Immigration). I don't know what "normal" bag drop queues are like as I use the frequent flyer one which is normally quite quick. Outbound passport check can be another long queue.

Unless you can check your bags all the way I think it's too risky - your chances of making it are, at best, 50:50... and if there is any snow or fog (both quite common in December) you've had it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

I just got back from the airport. No queue of speak of at passport control. Got to the baggage carousel and my bag was already there. That was off a 737 flight from Glasgow though and at a quiet time in the airport.

Coming off a redeye the airport is normally a lot busier

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

But Ronaldo, just because you did not have a queue in no way indicates the op won't have one. I've encountered long queues at schiphol, they happen and frequently. As do delays in luggage coming off the plane.

On top of this the op is liable of he does not make it. That's going to be a big cost. If his flight is delayed inbound, and flights are delayed, and he hits a queue and he misses, he is liable for another ticket and it could be a while before he can get a seat on another flight out.

No one is disputing it's doable on a good day. However it's a big risk and he should be aware of the cost of that if he gambles and loses. For me. If he can get there earlier, he should absolutely do it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

Froggy I completely agree with you which is why I mentioned it was only a short haul 737. Also it is unusual for that to happen. Normally I have to wait at least 10 minutes for my bag. Also seen huge queues at immigration.

Was just saying that it is possible just. Personally I would not risk it.

By the way being a froggy can you jump queues?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

Lol, have tried, but apparently not,,too many snakes in the queue,,,:-))

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

Hopefully you can get them to through check your bag! You could well make the connection but if the lines are long you might need to charm some people to let you cut in. If you have airline status and can use Biz desks that will help and you can then use the priority line to go back through passport control.

UK
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage transfer in Amsterdam

I don't think there is a priority line for passport checks between landside and airside (in either direction) - only between Schengen and non-Schengen.