We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX - Connecting Flights

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
LAX - Connecting Flights

I will be booking a return air travel ticket from MEL to LAX, however as my first stop in USA will be to New York, i will need to purchase an additional air travel ticket to take me from LAX to JFK.

I know it is difficult to answer, however what would be an approx. adequate timeframe between landing in LAX from MEL and my flight from LAX to JFK with consideration to customs, baggage collection etc.

Is 3 hrs an adequate timeframe or should I allow longer?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,420 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

On two separate tickets, I'd allow 5 hrs. Once upon a time I used to think 3 hrs was plenty, but no longer.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

Can you not just book a multi-city return ticket? So you would go:

Melbourne - JFK (which will go via LAX but the connection is organised) and then coming home it would just be LAX - Melbourne.

If you don't want to do that, I would also leave a 5hr gap minimum for any connecting flight after landing at LAX.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,721 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

Just note the consequences on an unprotected connection. You will have to pay change fares at a minimum, plus any fare difference. In the worst case, you might have to buy an entirely new ticket which will likely cost $$$$ on the spot at LAX.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

Thank you all for your feedback.

MelbTraveller85 - I am not familiar with a multi-city return ticket, however this would be perfect. I normally purchae air travel tickets via a flight search engine such as skyscanner rather than an agent. Do you know if these type of tickets are available this way?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

Have you looked at Qantas on one ticket..........MEL - LAX - JFK. Yes you do still have to change at LAX but the flight to JFK is timed to coincide with the arrival of the flights from from MEL and BNE. QF107 from SYDNEY continues onto JFK.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

QF has a flight to JFK from either MEL or SYD,with a connection in LAX.You are then fully protected in your stop outbound,and returning,you can check your bags all the way home.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

You will also clear customs and immigration in LAX before you board the flight to travel onto New York .

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

Go directly to the airline website and select the multi-city option.

You'll be able to put in MEL - JFK and LAX - MEL (or whatever your last city will be). No need to use any sort of agent.

Edited: 2:45 am, December 02, 2013
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

Thank you all.

The reason I was looking at a return ticket from LA is I will be doing additional travel to that of just LA and NY (after NY, will be flying to SF and doing a 4 week road trip loop, then over to Mexico City for several days and then flying to Merida and after doing a 2 week road trip will fly out of Cancun back to LA for home)

Since my post, I have researched the multi city ticket, however this doesn't really seem to suit my travel arrangements (unless I have read wrong??)

Think it may be best to stick to the separate tickets and ensure I allow approx 5hrs between landing at LAX and a flight to NY.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX - Connecting Flights

What makes you think a multi-city international flight won't suit you? If you go Melbourne - JFK on the one ticket the way there then your connection in LA is included, you are covered if the Melbourne - LAX flight is delayed and you miss the LAX - JFK connection (you'll be put on the next available flight) and you won't need to wait around LAX all day!

You would then book the rest of your internal flights seperately.

Just be aware that if you book Melbourne - LAX and then an internal flight on the same day to your first city, and an internal flight from your last city to LAX to get your international flight home on the same day....the airlines won't help / won't just put you on another flight if your Melbourne - LAX flight or last city - LAX flight is delayed (or you get held up at the airport) and you consequently miss your seperate connecting flight. So definately allow plenty of time between flights and remember to account for the check-in cut off for the connecting flight.

Edited: 5:03 am, December 02, 2013