We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passing sercurity

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
passing sercurity

Hi there I am flying to South Africa next week and the flight is in 2 parts. I have to spend 3 hours in Istanbul before my connecting flight to SA. I would like to meet a friend in the airport. As far as I know that means going through security. Is this possible though? Can I meet my friend at the airport before my connecting flight?

Many thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passing sercurity

You will also have to pass immigration, so you need a visa.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passing sercurity

3 hours is not a lot of time considering the time to get landside and then the time to get airside again as well as the need for a visa.

https:/…entry-requirements

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passing sercurity

It's the use of the words >>in 2 parts<< that is possibly an issue for the OP.

If the flights are indeed 2 separately ticketed flights to get some sort of cheap deal (after all, there are several non stop flights choices between UK and South Africa so routing via IST is hardly logical) and the first flight is late into IST, then the departing flight could be at risk, ignoring whether there's any time to get through all the various immigration and security checks and visa issues to get landside at IST to meet a friend for a few minutes!

SWT

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: passing sercurity

ok yeah I understand. Definitely impossible. Thanks for all the contributions.

Rich

5. Re: passing sercurity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 02, 2014