We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling under a different name to your passport

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling under a different name to your passport

HI - I have booked travel under my maiden name however my new passport has come through and it is in my married name. Will I still be able to tkae international travel? thanks.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,782 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

"Will I still be able to tkae international travel?" - No the name on the ticket must match the name on the passport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

doubt it. It has been known, but rarely, and even if you got out, you might not get back. Your boarding pass and your passport needs to match.

You need to change the name on the ticket to match, or decide if you are happy to take the very high risk you will be turned away at the airport and either forfeit your vacation or buy a walk up fare.

I suggest speaking to the airline and asking them to make the change. Some will do it for free, some will charge you a fee, some will make you buy a whole new ticket. without the airlines name, we cant advise on which it will be.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

Contact the airline to get the surname changed on the ticket(s)-might be a fee to pay but both names match

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

You have to change the name on the ticket to match your passport.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

Tickets and passport names must match or you could be denied boarding. Phone your airline and get your name changed. Might be expensive but better than having to pay for a new flight on the day again.

UK
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

If it had been the other way round - passport in maiden name, ticket in married name - you would, quite possibly, have been OK. Don't know how universal it is, but I understand that some airlines will allow newly-married people to travel under their married name, with a passport issued in their previous name, as long as they carry a marriage certificate.

Do you still have your old passport or did you have to give that up?

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

I had a passport in my maiden name many years ago, but the holiday was in my married name. We travelled with another couple with the same problem. They took a copy of their marriage certificate and the names corrected for free. I had to pay £50 (it was 30 years ago) to have mine corrected. You will have to have both names the same before you can travel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

Thanks to the terrorists, the days of a friendly explanation are over. Make sure everything matches before you go to the airport. Not sure if the marriage license will do with all agents, but I'd have the airline change the ticket. You don't want your whole trip contingent on something like this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

Yep, you need to change it, times they have a changed. I remember the days when you could travel with full size toiletries in the cabin,,,sigh.

10. Re: Travelling under a different name to your passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 27, 2014