We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

Just came across this on another forum Singapore now clamping down on carry on in a very tough way according to the first post

forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

This is not unusual at both Sydney and Melbourne and it has nothing to do with Singapore Airlines and everything to do with Australian OH&S laws. It has happened to me when I was checking in to SQ on business Class with a carry on limit over 7 kg. I was told at check in to 'lighten the load' - not because of any SQ requirements but because there were airport officials inside the emigration security area weighing carry on luggage. (The SQ check in agent was most apologetic)

I queried the official (out of interest, not because my bag was over 7kg) and was told that FAs could not be asked to lift anything over 7kg into the OH bins and sometimes passengers required assistance. No 'you pack it you rack it' rules here) Against OH&S laws.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

I wasn't aware of that limit...on Jetstar and Tiger you can take 10kgs (Jetstar Pacific is 7kgs only) QF is 7kgs though

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,862 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

I saw this in Singapore at the gate last April ... we were flying Emirates so who knows how they choose who to do?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

Yes, that was my issue. At the time the Bus Class allowance was 10 kg (now it's only 7) and SQ were happy to allow it but I couldn't take it through to security if it was over 7. Seems there's one rule for the airlines and another at the airport. Strange!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

I've flown SQ quite a few times both in and out of Australia .First time was quite a few years ago. My carryon has been weighed each time.

Edited: 2:27 am, November 24, 2013
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

Great to see the rules are now being enforced. Like most regular travellers, I get really pi**ed off when fellow passengers fill the overhead bins with baggage that could clearly be stowed in the hold.

7. Re: Singapore Airlines now enforcing carry on rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 26, 2014