We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways - Seat Selection

3 posts
Save Topic
British Airways - Seat Selection

I recently used miles and cash to obtain three tickets from LAX to Rome for myself, wife, and daughter for travel in May. AA miles were used for two of the tickets, though AA did charge me $600/ticket for this...they claimed it was a BA fee; I bought the third ticket as I didn't have enough miles. I was unable to select any of the seats at booking and was directed to the BA website, where I was shocked to learn that I had to pay over $300 to make sure we all sit together. The "no charge" option BA offers is to select my seats 5 days before the trip...and I know how that would turn out...BA makes Southwest look good here.

I am very disappointed with BA over this. I specifically requested BA with the AA agent as I've heard good things about them, but I don't see that its worth $1,200 plus another $350 (appx) for this experience.

I contacted a BA agent and he said that I had to pay for the seats as I did not book the flight with BA. My first call WAS to BA to book this trip, but since I was using AA miles, I was directed to AA.

Is this is a scam? Based on this experience alone, I cannot recommend BA.

135 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

Eh, no it's not a scam and it's made clear, you just chose not to have a look prior to booking.

You can chose your seats at 24 hours before departure when you do on line check in and it's free, odds are you will get seated together. Do it at exactly 24 hours before hand as soon as it opens to increase the chances.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,986 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

The paid seating system is what it is (and certainly not a scam). I don't mind it but I realize a lot of first-time BA'ers are nagetively surprised when they find out about it. You seem to assume that if you don't pay you will definitely not be seated together which isn't the case. Most people won't pay for seats.It wouldn't have mattered if you'd booked direct from BA, you would still have had to pay to book seats before online check-in opens.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,914 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

5 days before is a big head start over many passengers. You'll probably score seats together easily. If you've got AAdvantage Platinum/EXP status the get your number added to the booking and you'll be able to pre-assign seats now.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

Is this is a scam? Based on this experience alone, I cannot recommend BA.

=====

Nope, its your inexperience and not asking for advice from the right people beforehand, for example most people would have advised you not to use (aka waste) those points on economy flights when there are much better ways to use them. It was your choice to use them and accept the high cost, you didn't have to do that, indeed many people come on here complaining about the high cost but at least those had the wit to complain about it before booking, rather than after, and ask for suggestions.

Same goes for seat payment, at 5 days ahead in economy (presumably you have a young daughter giving you early access, though I thought it was 3?) you'd be ahead of most and almost certainly get the seats you wanted without paying. Some airlines do give free seating choice, others don't. . And as post 2 says, its irrelevant you booked through AA, would have been exactly the same had you booked through BA

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

I presume you are flying economy. I have just helped a friend check in for her flight tomorrow. We checked in 23 hours before departure and there was still a good selection of seats to choose from. Many people in ec onomy don't pay to book seats, so I doubt you will have a problem.

Not too sure where the 5 days before comes from, maybe someone can correct me if necessary, but I thought that checkin opens 24 hours before your 1st flight if you have a connection. In other words you will be able to check in for your Rome sector at the same time. I thought the only ones who choose seats for free are those who have status. At online checkin you are able to change your seats if you don't like the ones you are allocated. Some airlines don't allow you to do this.

This is certainly not a scam, the definition of scam is a swindle or fraudulent business scheme. Why do people use this word and not understand the definition. Had you done your research you would have understood can choose your seats at -24 online checkin for free or pay before to reserve. It's on their web site.

BA is a good product and can't be compared to LCC's. Enjoy your flight and holiday.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

This is where the 5 day rule comes from

Families with an infant

When you travel with an infant (under 2 years) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own, you can reserve a seat for yourself and everyone in your booking, free of charge, as soon as you've made your booking.

If you don't choose a seat in advance, we'll reserve a suitable one for you 5 days before the flight.

Deb

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

Deleted

Edited: 12:34 pm, November 22, 2013
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
31,390 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

If you decide not to purchase seats in advance BA allocate seats to families 5 days in advance of the flight (you don't get to choose them).If they can't seat you all together they will make sure each child is sat with an adult.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

Thanks, didn't know that but I don't travel with children any longer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways - Seat Selection

I missed the five days thing. I would not be changing my seats at on line check in then,,,are you travelling with a lap child? If this is the case, only certain rows are acceptable due to the extra oxygen mask. Changing it could mean you end up split as you go to the wrong row, then they can't fix it for all of you.

If not travelling with lap child. And I sincerely hope you are not on this length of journey, then just check it at the 24 hours before hand, but with five days you are way ahead of the game.

Reply to: British Airways - Seat Selection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted